Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buy Bob's Knobs at FLO

FLO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Flo,     I have an Orion Optics  6VX   ( 6 inch F4 Newtonian bought second hand)   and it has cross headed screws for adjustment on the secondary. 

( So I have to use a screwdriver to adjust )

I would love to change them for some of these,  for quick, risk free collimation.   Do you have a range of width and length sizes ? 

If I extract one of the screws could you size me a Bob's Knob replacement ??

Sean.

7 hours ago, Olsin said:

I've often wondered why telescope manufacturers don't install these as standard. It would be such a small expense for them.

They could even rise the price by $50... but it's like always, accessories always cost (at least)  5 times what you paid for your telescope.

so if they add the knobs than the question will be asked "why not *insert accessory here* also?"

9 hours ago, Tim said:

And about time too! Good stuff guys. :)

What about including them as an optional upgrade with appropriate new scopes?

Great idea Tim. Or fit and include them in your price. Use as a way to show that you get more if you buy from FLO?

Alan

On 13/12/2017 at 16:32, FLO said:

You can now buy Bob's Knobs at FLO :biggrin: 

The BEST option for tool-free collimation. 

bobs-knobs_bk_cswn_pri.jpg

For the uninitiated, these are just socket head cap screws and plastic caps, which are commercially available at a hardware supply and are easily squeezed together; the price, a few pennies each, and a cost effective project for those with even the simplest mechanical ability.  The above product would be the time saving but very expensive turn key approach.   My conscience required me to post this reality check, and the equivalent DIY option.

Clear Skies.

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

On 15/12/2017 at 22:19, L8-Nite said:

For the uninitiated, these are just socket head cap screws and plastic caps

I thought there was more to them?  in particular, the long spacers on the collimation knobs, and for a little extra modification, you can use springs instead of 'O' rings!
I'm all for getting items cheaper, much cheaper, but it's in the detail, and without those spacers, I'm sure your going to have an issue, not that you couldn't  modify a spacer or two?

The BK's are  something I have considered on many occasions, but the reach of my scope is an issue, my arms are not long enough, though if I Barlowed my Laser, then reach would not  be an issue, but with eye looking into the tool/focuser, It's a no-no for me, plus I hardly collimate, the Star test looks  just fine? 

Around 1976 a new <koff!> product took the USA by storm: The Pet Rock. This consisted of a rock, about 1" by 2," - in a box. And a $5.00 price-tag. It came with 'Feeding Instructions.'

Just a rock. Period. And it took the nation by storm! Everyone was buying them, giving them as gifts, everything short of throwing them - to my knowledge. And after about a year or so, they were gone. No more to be had.

A reporter finally tracked-down the person behind it. And went to talk to him at his house. In a modest house somewhere in the suburbs of a major city in California. The questions were quite predictable: "Why did you sell these?" A - "To make money." "What made you think of this?" A - "Nothing." "Why did you stop?" A - "I made a million dollars." "Did you have any left?" A - "They're just rocks. The one's I had left? You're standing on them. I used the leftovers to pave my driveway with!"

And thus concluded the interview.

Rock on!

Dave

3 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Rock on!

Here in the UK we are aware of the Pet Rock craze but collimation -> screws -> rocks :icon_scratch: 

Is it another of your “My gran’s frying pan is a meteorite” type posts? 

Steve 

The "Pet Rock" story is quite true. I lived through it. Along with 'Mood Rings' and 'Moon Shoes.'

As for the 'Grans Frying-Pans' tale, that may well be true. Before some scientists had it stopped, the 'Diablo Crater' (or Canyon del Diablo) in Arizona (That big meteorite-crater in Arizona) was being mined for the tons of raw iron to be found there. Around the 1870's until who knows? Pieces of the iron meteorite that blew apart in the atmosphere and rained-down there are still being sold on the Meteor Market to collectors. I have one myself. Dense stuff, and strongly magnetic.

You sell meteorites, yes? Have any of those? If so - they should come with a story card enclosed.

Best Wishes -

Dave

On 13/12/2017 at 21:28, Craney said:

Hello Flo,     I have an Orion Optics  6VX   ( 6 inch F4 Newtonian bought second hand)   and it has cross headed screws for adjustment on the secondary. 

( So I have to use a screwdriver to adjust )

I would love to change them for some of these,  for quick, risk free collimation.   Do you have a range of width and length sizes ? 

If I extract one of the screws could you size me a Bob's Knob replacement ??

We don’t stock Orion Optics scopes so are not familiar with their specifications but if you email us details with a photo of your existing collimation screws, we’ll inquire for you ?

On 15/12/2017 at 08:35, Demonperformer said:

Can anyone confirm if it is the metric or standard ones that are required for the 8SE. Looking at the hints page it looks as if it might be #5 (metric), but would be good to know for sure before pushing the button.

The photo at the bottom of the page you linked to should tell you what you need to know but if you find you have the wrong set we’ll happily send you the correct one with a SAE. 

We have only just added Bob’s Knobs to stock so are currently relying on their text but as we learn more we will update our product descriptions and relate screw-sets to specific telescopes to make it easier to find what you need. 

HTH, 

Steve 

12 hours ago, Charic said:

I thought there was more to them?  in particular, the long spacers on the collimation knobs, and for a little extra modification, you can use springs instead of 'O' rings!
I'm all for getting items cheaper, much cheaper, but it's in the detail, and without those spacers, I'm sure your going to have an issue, not that you couldn't  modify a spacer or two? ..........................

Sorry, I didn't intend to open up a can of worms here, just provide an exploded view of what is just a few pennies worth of materials. Nylon spacers, O-rings, springs, and spring washers are "also" available in a variety of sizes at a hardware supply. I'll say no more.

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

To be fair, @FLO did say "best option" and not "only option" in their advert.  I've had these on my C8 for some time and they are great.  I think getting them for your particular need takes out the guesswork relating to length etc. and removes the possible risk of damage if they are too long.

Archived