SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Geminids - heads up

andrew63

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions applying here. At 1 o'clock it was dark as the end of the World!

I took about 400 subs across various targets on the evening of the 11th, one of them on Auriga picked up a Geminid. I mixed it into my wide-field comp entry, but this is the single sub, colour is a bit flaky.

I've just tried tracing it back in Stellarium while I wait for the upload, it's bang on for the Geminid radiant which is nice!

5a315fd8d6e6b_Geminid11December17-1.thumb.png.8697e0a8117a3a7c58f5ecaf765544a8.png

We have a clear spell here too but allegedly to be short lived. Had a look for half an hour and even though Gemini itself has barely risen, I saw two - one short and swift and the other noticeably slower. Will give it another go when my feet have recovered! 

Cloud and a very fine drizzle here now. Clearer earlier but not forecast to last, and it didn't :rolleyes2:

If it clears later I will pop out and have a gander. Yet to see a really spectacular shower though.

Awesome photo...

I was out continuing my imaging, there were a few streaks, but nothing I'd call a shower... unfortunately, at 1am ish clouds started to roll in.... I wish we had a decade long dry spell, zero rain or cloud.

Cloudy here as well now! It has been clear for a few hours and is due to clear again, I sense a frustrating night ahead. I tried to grab a quick image of Phaethon earlier, but the clouds intervened before I could get a decent capture.

I saw a few Geminids on the 11th though, so fingers crossed for later.

Archived