SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Atlas

ZiHao

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you mean a Star Atlas or an Astronomy Guide, as in a guide to the constellations etc. Something a bit less intense/serious?

Ask this as I have a couple of the Star Atlas's and to me at least they can be a bit much. My "Constellation" guide is The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion. However I guess this may be of limited use to you as the book it based around the 50N Latitude.

For a PC use Stellarium or Carte du Ciel (CdC) and set your location.

Owing to you being in Malaysia be a little careful of recommended books as most of us here will be familiar with the Northern latitudes and some may be non-applicable to you.

I mean a Star Atlas,hmm..like a star chart. I found one which is Pocket Atlas,anyone used this be4?

@ronin,yes...and also the telescope alignment part,cannot see Polaris here, too low near the horizon...FRUSTRATED :(. But there is a method called drift alignment,more accurate than a rough polar alignment, especially for those deep sky imagers.

2 minutes ago, ZiHao said:

I mean a Star Atlas,hmm..like a star chart. I found one which is Pocket Atlas,anyone used this be4?

@ronin,yes...and also the telescope alignment part,cannot see Polaris here, too low near the horizon...FRUSTRATED :(. But there is a method called drift alignment,more accurate than a rough polar alignment, especially for those deep sky imagers.

This one is very handy, compact but comprehensive 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

For those nights with a typhoon or other meteorological phenomena, Stellarium is a good way to learn your way about - as deep as you wish to go. Here's a 'copy & paste' to help you download and see it's possibilities. Similar programs can cost a great deal, but Stellarium is totally FREE:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, a full copy of them is bundled with the program that you download. But if you need another copy for some reason, these can be downloaded here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-user-guide/0.16.0-1/stellarium_user_guide-0.16.0-1.pdf/download

This program is quite large, so download when you have a few minutes. I'll leave you with 2 screenshots: First one shows basically how Stellarium appears before you customizes it, while the 2nd. shows my copy while identifying a satellite. Mine is much more advanced - just to give you an idea about Stellarium's great range of options. Please know that I am an experienced user.

In the Beginning -

image.thumb.png.cfc1216868d31843c6f95cfdfe8ca1de.png

And My Advanced -

image.thumb.png.93b3a9545cd82633ab80c0cca57ac801.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope this helps,

Dave

p.s. - Stellarium will work for any location on Earth, and any place else.

Thanks for your help. I have downloaded Stellarium last year, but I wanna get a star atlas book so that I won't have to use a laptop or phone when I am observing. 

Stellarium is really an excellent software, I have spotted one meteor last time in it, really surprised and also I use it to learn the right ascension and declination. @Dave In Vermont, the second picture looks so PROFESSIONAL! :)

I tend to use both the Pocket Atlas and two screen-based skycharts (Stellarium and SkySafari) depending on the level of detail I want.

One thing worth thinking about is the image orientation you will see through your scope; normally N is up, but the view is laterally reversed which you need to think about if you are trying to find something. I copy the screen image, reverse it in PShop, and print it off to get an "eyepiece view".

Chris

I use the Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas in conjunction with a planisphere and Turn Left at Orion. In addition I also use Sky Safari and Stellarium on my phone. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but if you're looking for just a star chart, the Pocket Atlas is fantastic once you figure out how to use it.

Zi Hao,

I'm using the same combination as Davy above - Pocket Sky Atlas and SkySafari Pro with an Android smartphone. For more details and information about Deep Sky objects, I have, next to the "Uranometria", found the "Night Sky Observer's Guide" still one of the best printed resources. Three volumes, which cover the Southern Sky as well; many sketches; surface brightness magnitudes - all designed to visual observing. If you'll get a 10", you should consider the NSOG (at least in the long run). Have a look here:

http://www.willbell.com/handbook/nitesky.htm

Btw, where in Malaysia are you living (approx.), Peninsula or Sarawak/Sabah? Many years ago, I spent two wonderful weeks diving the Perhentian Island (NE peninsula near the Thailand border). No astro at that time (still the end of the rainy season). But I'm dreaming of observing the sky  with my 8" Traveldob from the tip of Borneo.

On 12/13/2017 at 03:07, ZiHao said:

Does the Pocket Atlas work for people living in the equator?Thanks :)

Yes it does. It covers the entire sky, and is perfect for small telescopes and binoculars. You can read about the smaller version here: https://www.shopatsky.com/pocket-sky-atlas , and the larger version here: https://www.shopatsky.com/jumbo-pocket-sky-atlas

Assuming that you can get either version, you should be happy with this depth of sky coverage until you either learn the sky well or need charts for a darker sky or large telescope. They are wonderful charts.

4 hours ago, Stu said:
4 hours ago, ZiHao said:

Yes, that is a good site.

Indeed, a very good freeware resource of DSO's, that should fulfill most of the needs of stargazers with 6" to 10" scope aperture. The added database is really valuable, as it contains a column for the surface brightness ("S. B.") of objects - very important, if you are observing in light polluted areas (objects with lower S.B. = higher values may remain invisible). The abbreviated description from the SAC database is an added bonus.

Stephan

Archived