SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice needed please

CFC

We have a Nexstar 4 SE (and 2 DOBS) and my other half would like an imaging camera for Christmas to use with the 4 SE. I'm not sure how much use it will get because I think that having to drag a laptop out will turn out to be a pain in the rear, and of course the primary use will be planetary. I think he'd like to do a few DSOs that we can view through the scope, not sure how successful it will be so planetary results is main concern. I now suffer from a cold related health issue so he is also interested in being able to stream what he's looking at to my laptop while I am inside in the warm.

I'm not bothered about astrophotography and he knows nothing about it so it's doing my head in to choose the right camera for him. I have seen the ZWO ASI 120MC-S USB 3.0 Colour Camera, but I understand that running a long cable on USB3 is difficult and that this camera does not always work with extenders. So I'm not totally sold on this.

I have also seen the ZWO ASI 120MC USB 2.0 Colour Camera, which in my thinking should be able to work with a long cable with no problems. Is this correct? I have also seen the ZWO ASI 034MC USB 2.0 Colour Camera which is a bargain price and tempting considering I don't know how he will take to imaging.

Looking for opinions and input as I really just do not know enough about this stuff to have a sensible opinion on it. I'm looking for the balance between usefulness and cost. After all if he falls in love with the whole thing he'll have to have a different scope as well as a different camera so not that worried about 'future proofing' :D

9 minutes ago, knobby said:

Hi,

The 120mc s is a nice planetary camera, how about putting TeamViewer on his astro laptop and watching remotely from a pc indoors ?

Good luck choosing.

Hi Knobby, I'd never heard of Team Viewer till your post, just had a quick squizz at it and it looks really interesting. Both our laptops are a couple of years old, are they man enough for that kind of activity? ( think the laptops will die under any image processing but I refuse to cross a bridge till I come to it!)

Early ASI120 cameras had usb2 compatibility issues. That's why zwo now carry the 'S' version. It may be safer to go with that version, even if used with usb2. I'm not so familiar with the details of this issue, but I'm sure you can get more info by browsing the zwo user group forum. And if you post your concern on that forum, I'm sure someone will explain the current state.

Video-Cameras made for astro uses and wifi-connections can do everything from send the views from the eyepiece to move the scope to center on objects on the computer-screen, all from inside your warm house.

And this gear can be found that is quite inexpensive these days.

Have Fun!

Dave

Cheers Wim, I certainly dont want to buy something that will drive me insane or that will just get thrown in a box due to incompatibility issues! I had a look around the Zwo forum but my life is too short to do really intensive research in an area I'm not super interested in.... so maybe I would be better off paying more for the USb 3...though at £170 it's a lot of money if he doesn't actually use it :(

Thanks Knobby - if it can run on a phone it could definitely work on old laptops.

Dave - thanks but specifics rather than generlaties are what I'm after, Christmas is coming if I'm going to buy something I need to get on with it :) 

Well Wim thanks to you I went back to the zwo forum and did some power browsing - you are totally right. Updating this out of interest for anyone making similar decision this Xmas.

The 120 USB2 will not work on USB3 ports, plus some 120 USB2s have bricked operating systems. Not good. Although our laptops have both 3 and 2 on it puts a question mark over the firmware.

Possibly the Zwo's are worth avoiding for peace of mind, but not sure what other models to look at. The Celestron Burst is nearly 100 quid more so that ship won't sail lol

Do you have a DSLR already that could be pressed into service testing your husbands toe in the deep waters of imaging? A free trial use of BYEOS or APT, a long active USB cable allowing imaging from indoors and your mostly there. Have a look at The "No EQ" Imaging Challenge thread for what can be achieved. If he develops an interest there will be no holding him back and he will have tie to consider any next step.

Alternatively consider a relatively inexpensive SkyWatcher Star Adventurer (or the SAMini) to take wide field shots with camera and lens. 

Best Regards,
Steve

Thanks all. I am going for the USB 3 version of the 120. On reflection I think that's the best option.

Steve, thank you also for your input - I did consider it, yes I do own a DSLR but I'm not lending it to him. I always wanted one and finally got one and am not coughing it up. If the 120 breaks after a drop to the concret it will be a lot cheaper....Call me Mrs Meanie :happy11:

Archived