Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY filter wheel problems, please help

Hi,

Yesterday finally i inserted the LRGB filters inside the filter wheel, i was like doing a surgery operation, very carefully, this gave me an idea of buying same filter wheel for 8x1.25" filters, i really don't want to keep opening the filter wheel time to time, i ordered that 8x1.25" disk already but it wasn't in production and the person told me it will be done in about 2 weeks, so should i just order the filter wheel again and ask them to reduce the price of this additional disk as they don't send the filter wheel empty? or if they can then i hope they can reduce the price so i can use the disk they will send it later.

My main problem yesterday was when i was trying to operate the filter wheel, it only turn on the filter wheel when i connect it with USB to computer or to camera powered, but the filter wheel never move or rotate, after some time around and with appreciate help of a member from another forum even he didn't figure it out i managed to make the filter wheel rotate...... BUT...... it rotates only when i choose the filter wheel control, but never rotate with the camera, and it only rotates from that control with USB connection, not with camera, no point i can't match the camera with the filter wheel, ofcourse i tried drivers, reboot/restart the computer, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled again, disconnected all items then reconnect, same, nothing happen, the wheel never rotate with the camera and only rotate when i choose FW control and choose filter and press set, what i can do here?

Last problem, i found out that i can't connect my flattener to the filter wheel, not directly and not with any adapter i have, so it is like i will connect the filter wheel with adapter to the scope directly, i will try with Canon lens because the package is including a new Canon adapter, but i wanted to use the scope, so how can i connect it with flattaner then?

I hope members with same combo [QHY163 + QHYCFW2-M] telling me about the solution of filter wheel operating, i don't know if another camera doesn't have same problem so that i can't judge if it is from the camera or from the filter wheel.

Hello from Vienna, I do have an QHY163M but not the Filter Wheel ( I prefer to use a filter drawer also since I have an HYPERSTAR SYSTEM ).. but there is a HELP FORUM from QHY products, I went there and there seem to be others with same issues you have and they are in discussion with QHY..

Try to access here and find help !! http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php

Or maybe someone else here, can assist you..

Good luck

Martin

Thanks!

I solved one problem, i managed to control the camera and filter wheel in SGP with match, but the other problem is still exist which is i can't connect the filter wheel to the camera, the connection was from filter wheel to PC via USB directly, this means one more long cable, uggggh.

Also the main problem is i can't connect the flattener[Hutech SCA 2"] to the filter wheel, i don't know what is the filter wheel front thread, but maybe i will just try to shoot without flattener if i can get the focus and see if i can start practice with LRGB filters.

I ask in many forums, i try to learn from everywhere, and i can't depend on one forum if there are members don't have a clue with my issues or if they don't have same my setup, so the more i ask in different forums, the more i can get answers from some.

I'm assuming you have the Standard filter wheel in which case here are the mechanical drawings:

http://www.qhyccd.com/files/QHYCFW2-M-SR drawings.PDF

The drawings show that the threads on both sides are M54  /0.75  (54mm diameter with 0.75mm thread pitch)

Which flattener do you have? Is it a 2 inch/ M48 type? If so you'll need a M54 to M48 adapter and maybe some M48 spacers.

9 hours ago, kens said:

I'm assuming you have the Standard filter wheel in which case here are the mechanical drawings:

http://www.qhyccd.com/files/QHYCFW2-M-SR drawings.PDF

The drawings show that the threads on both sides are M54  /0.75  (54mm diameter with 0.75mm thread pitch)

Which flattener do you have? Is it a 2 inch/ M48 type? If so you'll need a M54 to M48 adapter and maybe some M48 spacers.

Hi, 

No, I have the ultraslim version.

My flattener is Hotech SCA 2", and it says it has T thread, is that M45? so others told me to have an adapter of M54 to M42.

Heres the drawin for the ultra slim: http://www.qhyccd.com/files/QHYCFW2-M-US drawings.PDF

Looks much the same but slimmer :p

A T-thread (or T2 thread) is M42/0.75 - be careful with the term M42 as it is also used to refer to the Pentax M42/1.0 thread which has a different thread pitch.

In fact, be careful with M54 as well as I just saw one adapter for M54/1.0 so it might be best if you measure the pitch to be sure. By the way, a very useful tool to have is vernier calipers to mesaure threads, spacings etc...

8 hours ago, kens said:

Heres the drawin for the ultra slim: http://www.qhyccd.com/files/QHYCFW2-M-US drawings.PDF

Looks much the same but slimmer :p

A T-thread (or T2 thread) is M42/0.75 - be careful with the term M42 as it is also used to refer to the Pentax M42/1.0 thread which has a different thread pitch.

In fact, be careful with M54 as well as I just saw one adapter for M54/1.0 so it might be best if you measure the pitch to be sure. By the way, a very useful tool to have is vernier calipers to mesaure threads, spacings etc...

Cool, thank you very much!

Finally it is solved.

Very kindly Mr. Robin from Cyclops Optics, helped me to figure out the problem of the filter wheel with camera direct connection, it was how i position the filter wheel, sounds maybe in different position the inside disk's screws getting loose or whatever so it prevent the filter wheel disk to rotate until i correct the position, he told me to check out the tight of those screws.

It is working with SGPro and EZCAP, but it doesn't work with Sharpcap, yesterday i think or before yesterday it was working, so i don't know what's wrong, but i really don't care much about Sharpcap until i start doing planetary imaging with filters, i use Sharpcap for focus or 
polar alignment or something else but not much for DSO AP, maybe one day i buy ZWO filter wheel to go with ZWO camera for planetary i bought.

Now all what i need is the adapter for connecting the flattener and spacers to the filter wheel then i am done, i ordered those already and now i have to wait them to arrive, under shipping already.

Thank you very much for all the help, and sorry for causing any problems here.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/12/2017 at 19:53, TareqPhoto said:

Thanks!

I solved one problem, i managed to control the camera and filter wheel in SGP with match

Hello Tareq. 

Sorry to bring this thread back up again but I just got a used qhycfw2-m us with 7x36mm carousel but I replaced it with a new 8x1.25" carousel. 

I have it connected to my qhy163m qith the 4 pin cable, it connects properly but sometimes it doesn't go to the correct filter when I tell it to in sgp or it even spins continuously and I have to unplug it and plug it in again. 

Are you still using a qhy163m with the qhycfw2-m us? If so how are you connecting it? 

Thanks

Emil

On 11/10/2020 at 13:57, emyliano2000 said:

Hello Tareq. 

Sorry to bring this thread back up again but I just got a used qhycfw2-m us with 7x36mm carousel but I replaced it with a new 8x1.25" carousel. 

I have it connected to my qhy163m qith the 4 pin cable, it connects properly but sometimes it doesn't go to the correct filter when I tell it to in sgp or it even spins continuously and I have to unplug it and plug it in again. 

Are you still using a qhy163m with the qhycfw2-m us? If so how are you connecting it? 

Thanks

Emil

Hi Emil,

Sorry i didn't see your post earlier, but it is ok to bring this topic back to life, i appreciate it and happy with it,

Yes, i am still using my QHY163M with this filter wheel model, but i only connect it with USB cable to laptop, not with 4-pin cable as i failed to make it before, so i decided i will stay with on solution, and Robin sent me another cable for free although it shouldn't be just to test, but i really didn't try that yet and maybe not at all, i bought a power box device so i connect almost all to that box, including the cable from QHY filter wheel, and i think i will be happy with that, it always go to the correct filter and no issues, only issue once because i did tighten the screws internal too much which prevent from rotating smoothly.

I will try again for 4-pin cable, but i feel like it will give me headache more, and i don't want to depend on half solutions while i am imaging, so the safe thing for me is to connect to USB port separately rather than from camera, ZWO is different story.