Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to use Laptop in subzero Temperatures

Hey guys
it is getting really cold and this is the first time I'm using laptop in the field for imaging, so I have no idea how to use the laptop in subzero temperatures.
Last year when i was checking something in Stellarium, my screen just froze and did not work until i had it warmed. I get that it is Liquid Crystal, and will freeze in subzero temps. So how can i use it in the filed, all night long, without freezing it to death?
Sorry for bad English :)
Regards

2 minutes ago, ReZ said:

Hey guys
it is getting really cold and this is the first time I'm using laptop in the field for imaging, so I have no idea how to use the laptop in subzero temperatures.
Last year when i was checking something in Stellarium, my screen just froze and did not work until i had it warmed. I get that it is Liquid Crystal, and will freeze in subzero temps. So how can i use it in the filed, all night long, without freezing it to death?
Sorry for bad English :)
Regards

Hi ReZ,

I was imaging last night in -6 degrees. My way of counteracting the cold was to buy a secondhand Panasonic Toughbook, which is weatherproof. I also place the laptop on a chair + cover the whole chair with a light blanket. This has worked for me every time there has been frost; the frost has not touched the laptop and it has functioned fine. :)

My preferred method of keeping the laptop snug. You will see that it is in my observatory these days, though it still gets very cold in there, it was down to -3.5ºC in there last night. I used the very same box in the garden on a picnic table for several years before the obsy arrived. The good thing is that when everything is up and running, you can shut the box and the warmth generated by the laptop stays in there. Works a treat!

IMG_3570.thumb.JPG.be07d42cf401b1665db4c16fd692f0cc.JPG

Like PhotoGav I also use a cardboard box. Mine is somewhat bigger so I have a mouse (hate using trackpad) and ipad next to the laptop. The top of the box was already completely covered in tape which stops dew soaking into the cardboard. 

Eric.

Thank you guys for your answers.

17 hours ago, spillage said:

I have my imaging rig permanently outside. I think as you have found it will only be the screen that cause an issue. Are you able to turn off the screen and use a computer indoors via vnc or teamviewer? 

No, unfortunately my indoor means inside the car with the heater on, and the moisture is likely to kill anything electronic, like it did to my new Nikon DSLR.

18 hours ago, SyedT said:

Hi ReZ,

I was imaging last night in -6 degrees. My way of counteracting the cold was to buy a secondhand Panasonic Toughbook, which is weatherproof. I also place the laptop on a chair + cover the whole chair with a light blanket. This has worked for me every time there has been frost; the frost has not touched the laptop and it has functioned fine. :)

hey.
unfortunately i cannot spend on something like another laptop. i am saving up for a new mount, or an apo.

17 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

My preferred method of keeping the laptop snug. You will see that it is in my observatory these days, though it still gets very cold in there, it was down to -3.5ºC in there last night. I used the very same box in the garden on a picnic table for several years before the obsy arrived. The good thing is that when everything is up and running, you can shut the box and the warmth generated by the laptop stays in there. Works a treat!

IMG_3570.thumb.JPG.be07d42cf401b1665db4c16fd692f0cc.JPG

This looks Great. Thank you. I'm gonna give it a try.

18 hours ago, SyedT said:

Hi ReZ,

Excellent suggestion!

@Davey-T has a great system for in the field which is essentially a box which folds flat for transportation, and then uses clothes pegs to hold it in the open position.  He probably thought I didn't notice it at Cairds but I did and was well impressed so went off to my cabin and made secret notes and drawings :thumbright:

Archived