SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which stacking program for 5D mkIV

I used my new Canon 5D mkIV last night and got quite a lot of subs to stack but I can't stack them in DSS, as even the latest release does not support this camera. Does anyone know a stacking program which will support this camera or know a way to get around this problem.

Hello, wow 5DMKIV :icon_albino: !! Are you using dual pixel shooting on the Canon 5DMKIV ? then that is the reason why DSS is not able to process the output files.. 

Try to use PixInsight also called (PI ).. that is up to my konwledge the most actual software able to process the output files generated from MKIV.. you can try PI for free for " guess " 30 days or so.. is worth to have a look :happy5:.. else I really do not know any other software able to process..

I still use EOS 600D-a !! or try to use the DSS 3.3.6 maybe it will work !! ?? no risk no fun :hello2:..

Regards

Martin

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

A very nice camera, I hope your not going to make an Astro Mod on it

Definitely NOT. It is for my photography business. I was just trying it out. I actually prefer my 60D for astro stuff because of the flip out screen and my scope is 550mm focal length so with the 5D I get too big a field of view for most objects.

Also I didn't get the field flattener with it so using a 2" t piece I get bad vignetting. On the plus side the noise is nearly non existent.

2 hours ago, artem said:

Are you using dual pixel shooting on the Canon 5DMKIV ?

I will have to check as I am not sure

18 minutes ago, D Wright said:

I actually prefer my 60D for astro stuff because of the flip out screen and my scope is 550mm focal length

Hello there, the 60D will solve your problems with DSS and no workarounds are needed to use DSS as described above..

regards

Martin

I have tried using DNG converter but it is not recognising the files from the 5D. I have tried DSS 3.3.6 with no success and have checked the camera settings. It was set to dual pixel mode. This must be why they won't open. Is there any way I can stack them? Would it work stacking them in photoshop as tiff files? I spent all that time collecting the data and I don't want to waste them if I can help it.

36 minutes ago, D Wright said:

I have tried using DNG converter but it is not recognising the files from the 5D. I have tried DSS 3.3.6 with no success and have checked the camera settings. It was set to dual pixel mode. This must be why they won't open. Is there any way I can stack them? Would it work stacking them in photoshop as tiff files? I spent all that time collecting the data and I don't want to waste them if I can help it.

Is it that the DNG converter hasn't yet been updated to include your camera, assuming it is a new model? If so, in time it might accept the dual pixel mode (not that I know what that feature is). I guess if the DNG converter doesn't yet recognize it, you'll still be stumped converting to tiff in other RAW converters.

Ian

Just looked it up, and it seems that in dual pixel raw there are 2 picture files in the .CR2, one is A+B, the other is A. So I guess these need to be separated somehow, but your data should be there. From what little I've read, there is the suggestion that the DNG converter should work. I think you will perhaps need to do a bit of Googling, but I did find this https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2237160. From this it looks as though you need to turn off dp or else use the Canon pro software to deal with them :unsure:.

Ian

I have it sorted now ( I think ) I have to open the file in Canon photo professional which supports DPR ( dual pixel raw ), then convert it to a 16bit tiff which will then open in Photoshop and DSS. Next time I go out I will use the standard CR2 image until I find out what the benefits of DPR are.

Still struggling to process these files mainly because of the file size. I managed to stack them in DSS and the finished file is 250mb which is enormous. Luckily I have an 8 core i7 processor with 16gb ram and an 8gb GTX 1080 graphics card, so my computer can handle these files. DSS stacked the frames but didn't give me the colour and luminence sliders. It just saved an autosave tiff. This is the image so far which I am far from happy with. For some reason when I saved it as a jpg it is only 258kb. I have also included the unedited tiff file which to me looks to have a lot of data in it but I don't know how to get it out.Please feel free to have a go at processing it if you want.

Autosave.jpg

Autosave.tif

Archived