Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sp@ce_d

Another Asteroid Phaethon capture sequence

I thought I'd have a look for this one tonight in between imaging runs. Here's a quick 60 x 20secs raw subs thrown into a gif using Blink & ffmpeg in PixInsight. It's certainly moving & I'm sure I can see the rotation as if it's tumbling in these frames. I'll see if I can clean the subs up for a better view in the morning... err later today..

Phaethon_60x20secs_take4.thumb.gif.d36c347a0964c391e91835f6a12f8172.gif

• Like 15

Caught this myself last night,  I think you are seeing some trailing on the subs,  I don't think viewing the rotation is possible as its only a small object, It does give that illusion though.

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments. Yes, I think I’d be running for cover if it were close enough to really see rotation! Especially at 1088 FL. ? It’s certainly moving quick though & pretty bright for 20 secs bin1. 

Hi there,

The observed 'rotation' is due to tracking errors. All the stars in the fov appear to rotate. Besides, the rotational period is over three hours, with a mean amplitude of +0.165. The rotation could be observed, and measured, though.

24 minutes ago, Guy Wells said:

Hi there,

The observed 'rotation' is due to tracking errors. All the stars in the fov appear to rotate. Besides, the rotational period is over three hours, with a mean amplitude of +0.165. The rotation could be observed, and measured, though.

I’ve always thought I should use my obsy for something more than “pretty pictures”. Having invested time & money getting this far with the automation of it too. Although my skies are not that good. Any pointers on doing stuff like this properly & usefully?

Well done, I took some images of it a couple of nights ago but not looked at them yet as they're still at the bottom of the garden in the obs'y and I'm not going down there in this weather :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Well done, I took some images of it a couple of nights ago but not looked at them yet as they're still at the bottom of the garden in the obs'y and I'm not going down there in this weather :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

Yeah a bit nippy..  around -7 at the Obsy last night. You should set yourself up a remote connection to the warm house

I did wide-field images of Auriga last night, sensitive enough to pick up Phaethon... but I missed it by a few arc minutes!