Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Uplooker Usha Gap Star Party

mapstar

With the cancellation of the Galloway autumn star party myself and Ian (Uplooker) decided to try an alternative  couple of nights away due to already having the holidays booked in at work.

Joining us was a relative new comer to the hobby Gav who would be bringing along his 200p for it's first ever dark sky trip.

We headed for a little camp site in the yorkshire dales which I had the pleasure of visiting earlier in the year organised by Jules at easter.

I arrived first and waited for the others to join me. The weather was fresh but quite bright and sunny. 

When Ian arrived we decided on pitching in the field which had been closed for the winter. The owner was very accomodating and so we were well away (400m) from the adjacent road.

Gav joined us a little later and the night rolled in as we finished pitching his tent.

The temperature was not far off freezing point by that time and we'd got the scopes set up Ian with his 12" dob Gav with his 8" and me with the 22".

After a hearty Irish stew rustled up by Ian our viewing began as the weather forecaster had got it wrong and it was clear. 

I quickly discovered the small step ladders I used were going to need something under them. They sunk into the wet grass as soon as my pie munching frame stood on them! I ended up with the boot matt out of the car to spread the load and the ladders were back in use :thumbsup:

Pegasus was high in the sky so I first headed to NGC7331. The skies up here are good with minimal light pollution and some of the best this area has to offer. NGC7331 was large and expansive the gateway to the quintet was a lovely sight in the 13E teasing out the tilted disc. In the same field of view NGC7335 and NGC7337 were easy spots. I didn't dwell as I wanted a look at Stephans quintet. The five elements could be picked out but not the clearest I've seen them. 

M51 was low on the top of the hill and quite a mushy view. M81 and m82 were better and NGC3077 adding to the catch. 

Another usual yardstick to judge the skies I took a look at M101. The spirals were present but it's not the time of the year to see this at it's best.

Ian and Gav were zipping about and in particular Gav was enjoying the extra contrast these skies provided. I can remember he bagged a few globs that night and enjoyed a few galaxies.

One we all looked at was a favourite of mine NGC891. The difference between scopes was vast but all were very nice views. 

I was finding concentrating on serious astronomy difficult so NGC884 and 869 provided some easy viewing. The amount of stars in each is mind boggling the 100° field of view of the 13E doing these much justice. 

The draco triplet was another nice sight and one I have visited a few times. Three very differeng galaxies in one field of view.

I noted a few other galaxies. NGC7013 cygnus and two in Vulpecula NGC7052 and 7080. I can only assume I was heading for Faulksys favourite object but never noted it. 

I went back to pegasus and viewed the planetary nebula NGC7094 with the O111 filter and the UHC. The former gave the best view of a nice round disc with a bright central star. There was a little detail in the disc and with more time I could've pulled a lot more detail out with the 8E in the focuser.

We ended the night hunting down uranus in Pisces with Ian being the first to find it. A pale blue dot it was an achievement especially after Ian had led us up the garden path and told us it was further over in pisces. It reminded me of a certain session hunting a comet down with a so called comet hunter :happy8: 

By this time it was mid night and standing on wet grass during freezing conditions meant I gave in to my feet crying out for mercy. They had fallen off and both Gav and Ian were the same. 

The Friday night was a complete bust and we hit the under floor heated sitting area for a few wee swalleys of the water of life and a toast to the galloway event.  My lips are sealed about what drinks were on offer. 

I packed up on Saturday morning to meet the Mob at Carlisle for the big Skye trip after a blustery rain lashed night in the tent. 

Gav and Ian also packed up later that day and headed home but everyone had a good time and although a pale alternative to the Galloway event it was great all the same. 

We will be back to try again

Lovely write-up, Damian, as usual. The only object you saw that I haven't made an observation of is little NGC 7080. 

It's a pity you didn't linger a little over NGC 7331. Under dark skies I get 5 galaxies in that field. The three that you mentioned plus NGC 7336 and 7340. A beautiful wide-field shot of that region, including Stephan's Quintet (another fave group) is what I use as my desktop on my PC.

I often use NGC 7094 as a test of conditions for my 12". I have never seen it from home, but have spotted it a few times from darker spots. Unlike your experience, I have always found that an OIII filter renders this object invisible. It's just not bright enough with only 12"!

Thanks for a good read.

Cheers Patrick for the further details.

My level of concentration wasn't as good as it normally is so probably why I  missed the other galaxies in the NGC7331 area and nothing to do with the quality of the skies.

NGC7094 is a bit of an oddity in that tge last time I viewed it I couldn't see it without a filter and this time I could. 

Glad you enjoyed the read. One thing I really need to do is get out more as this winters season has been really poor up to press. 

Nearly fell off my chair when I read your title!  :)

I live a very few miles down the Dale and go past Usha Gap regularly.  Glad to see others picking up on Swaledale.

The National Park is working on Dark Sky status for an appropriate area.

Nice report!

Cheers Paul

lovely read and an encouraging report Damian. Some nice targets and great use of Audis Astro Accessories! I hope it was an eye opener for the 8" under good skies.

Maybe a site for a future mini star party?.. Clear skies mate 

2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Nearly fell off my chair when I read your title!  :)

I live a very few miles down the Dale and go past Usha Gap regularly.  Glad to see others picking up on Swaledale.

The National Park is working on Dark Sky status for an appropriate area.

Nice report!

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul

You'll have to keep an eye on the Star parties section as next time we'll post in there. Jules did arrange one at Easter which may be a possibility next year.

This was arranged at very short notice and delivered a good night. Shame you didn't spot us up the top of the field and come and say hello. 

Nice report Damien. It's a shame our feet have not evolved into something tougher to the elements over the millennia :) they seem so under evolved compared to those of my cat who never seems to bother if it's below freezing and still wanders around in her bare feet !!

Alan

4 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Nice report Damien. It's a shame our feet have not evolved into something tougher to the elements over the millennia :) they seem so under evolved compared to those of my cat who never seems to bother if it's below freezing and still wanders around in her bare feet !!

Alan

I used to use some foam to stand on and may have to ressurect that idea, normally the merino wool socks and walking boots are good for around 12hrs but I think it was due to them being damp which made the big difference. 

A friend mentioned he'd read about cold feet being caused by a drop in core temperature? so I may have to invest in a better (read down insulated) jacket that is designed for standing around without much activity.

Archived