SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Sky at Night

Gina

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out-voted in this household. Got to wait until the non-celebrity King/Queen of the jungle gets crowned having prior watched a naff dance off in Strictly. Maybe the Sky at Night should follow same formula and we similarly vote off stars? Oh, what's that, it's already in progress? It's called the Strictly Light Pollution game.

35 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Missed it :hmh:

Dave :icon_santa:

It's called Iplayer!

OK, I know i'm being facile, but, seriously, since getting a PVR, I'm no longer tied to programe schedules, I just set 'record series', and go down the pub or whatever

Huw

Disappointing - especially the implied suggestion to newbies that you can see all those beautiful colours in DSO's using a telescope. I would prefer to see a bit more substance in S@N programmes. Also, I find Maggie irritating as a presenter. Missing Patrick!

21 minutes ago, Horwig said:

It's called Iplayer!

OK, I know i'm being facile, but, seriously, since getting a PVR, I'm no longer tied to programe schedules, I just set 'record series', and go down the pub or whatever

Huw

I know :)  but never get round to it, Virgin keep trying to flog me a box that can record six programs at once lol, I usually can't find one to watch so where heck they think I could find six at the same time I've no idea :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

I have a PVR but can't be bothered to use it :D  Pretty much everything gets repeated anyway.  I could use iplayer I know that too :D  I can use that now I have decent broadband.  Just need to hook up the computer to the telly.

6 hours ago, Gina said:

I can use that now I have decent broadband.

You lucky thing, I'm still on copper from the exchange, but the fibre snail is slowly working its way out here, they have recently installed a new combined copper/fibre cabinet in the village about half a mile away, so things might improve some day soon.

As to a PVR, I'm on freeview, and using a PC with Windows Media Centre, I have no intention of giving Mr Murdoch or Mr Branson any money thankyou

Bit agree with GrahamF, not so disappointing but seemed a bit "odd". First I have seen fro a whole - the snooker finished early. Did seem that it had not topic to focus on.  Getting people "interested" is a little irrelevant. If they have no interest they are not suddenly going to go andd buy a scope and take the hobby up. Better to nurture an interest that sort of exists.

Greenwich Obs is well lit up with light pollution. Not sure the explanation of the Aurora was fully correct, I was losing interest. I have noticed that explanations are not fully detailed the light comes from electron in atoms dropping energy levels. You can get the idea that particals just entering at the magnetic field boundries create it. They may be the cause but not the actual method. Maybe they need to realise that people who watch something like this may actually have an idea of what is going on.

Another event was doing the same, I asked as things seemed a bit simple" and was told well they are just public visitors, I pointed out that some of these public visitors had travelled 20+ miles and all had come more then 2 miles so most or all would have an interest and so likely some knowledge otherwise they wouldn't be sat there.

Noticed it started with Chris and Pete Lawrence. 

Remember that it was aimed at newcomers to observing, it deliberately wasn't so much about the science. Maybe you're a viewer who's interested in astronomy but has never tried observing. I'm not saying it was perfectly executed, but was a nice idea and good to see Pete Lawrence taking more of a lead.

Archived