Star Catalogues

Rooting around in my attic, I have not been able to find my three volumes of Sky Catalogue 2000.0 yet. 

Are there any software on disc catalogues or other printed ones as SC 2k currently?

I used the catalogues for their data on spectral class/colour, magnitude, mass, type & when I had an equatorial, the RA & declination. Useful for noting on an atlas. 

Uranometria does DSOs but not stars. 

For free online resources with customisable downloading options check out the catalogues available at CDS 

e.g. this one is an extended catalogue of the Hipparcos mission stars and contains information on spectral class, colour etc.

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR-2

If it's any use to you, here's the same data I made into a PDF ordered by descending magnitude. Clicking on a constellation code restricts to just that constellation.

BSMagI.pdf

There are more detailed catalogues of stellar classes too (check out Skiff's Catalogue of Stellar Spectral Classifications, also available at CDS). It depends how deep you want to go.

cheers

Martin

11 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

It's just the latest freeware download of V4 CdC and the standard in-built catalogues.

I will try that thanks. Hoping to note some of my star charts with H-R spectral classes so I know which stars to look for & at. Older red Population 1 (mostly in & around globulars & elliptical galaxies) & carbon stars are my quarry at present. Barnard's star is tricky to locate, a Goto mount capable of carrying my Equinox. 

"Colour Star Atlas" by Cox and Monkhouse (if you can find a copy) is an excellent starting point - a wealth of information on the H-R diagram and a colour coded atlas of the brighter stars.

Follow that with Kaler's "Stars and their Spectra", and if you really want the nuts and bolts detail the new Richard Walker's " Spectral Atlas"

39 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

"Colour Star Atlas" by Cox and Monkhouse (if you can find a copy) is an excellent starting point - a wealth of information on the H-R diagram and a colour coded atlas of the brighter stars.

Follow that with Kaler's "Stars and their Spectra", and if you really want the nuts and bolts detail the new Richard Walker's " Spectral Atlas"

Many thanks. I think I have Kaler already, but the other 2 not, so bought. 

Astronomy magazine used to do star colours on its calendar month night sky centre spread. 

Archived