Narrowband

Need advice in getting telescope

Hi i am new here. :hello:

Since 6 years i am using GSO 8 inch f6 dobsonian telescope and i am quite happy with it. But now i want to get myself in astro-photography.

I want to purchase GSO 10 inch telescope so that i can take some good quality photos of deep space objects. I know for this i need Equatorial mounting system. So, if you can advice me the list of all the things that i need to make my telescope then it will be great favour to me.

I have Nikon DSLR camera also and i want to use this camera to get some serious photos of deep space objects.

Your answers are appreciated.

Wrong scope. You are thinking in Visual terms for what is AP.

Mount HEQ5 will do, but the scope will be smaller anything like the WO Star 71 would do. NOTE the "71" not "250". 80mm is common in AP.

So may I suggest a slight rethink. The best approach is to seperate visual from AP completely. To use a 10" for AP you will need something like an EQ8 or better a permanent observatory and permanent pier. Say this as I know someone that does use a 10" and that is their set up and even that tends to be a little "unstable". They are planning on a better mount. Last I knew up in the £5K to £8K area.

You can share a mount between AP and Visual, but it need some thought. Not easy to share a scope. A WO GT-81 is good for AP but limited (maybe) for visual.

First buy should be a book, specifically "Making every photon count". Beginner friendly, a lot of good advice. A lot. Buy it, read it and you'll have a much better idea what you need. And you'll save money avoiding expensive mistakes that can be easily made  in this end of the hobby. It's actually a good read even if you are not into astrophotography. 

Thanks everyone for the info. Actually yesterday i went to telescope dealer and i said my needs. He advised me to get a 10" Newtonian OTA along with Equatorial mounting system with motorized function so that after setting the telescope it will automatically track the stars and continue to capture the photo in camera. He also said the more time i give camera to take photo the more better quality photo will be. I need to have long exposure in RBG filter and bla bla bla.

I don't know why he advised me such things, i was having doubt so i decided to ask you all.

Erla Just now i saw your book and its really friendly and has many good info in it. Thanks much for the great book.

ronin can you explain me this line clearly please?

You are thinking in Visual terms for what is AP

nightfisher i will be using 8" for viewing purpose only and 10" for astro-photography.

22 minutes ago, Orions said:

10" for astro-photography.

10" scope is the wrong sort to start AP with. Too big, long focal length will be hard to guide and it will catch the wind like a sail.

Start with a small Apo refractor, 80ED or similar on a decent mount, EQ6 or similar.

The tried and tested baseline setup for AP is the one I have used for the last 5 years, Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount, Skywatcher ED80 semi Apo. Once you get this you will need a few extra items such as a decent power source, maybe a focal reducer, dew heaters and dew controller, camera adapter to fit your camera to your scope and an intervolometer to take the required shots. After you have mastered taking tracking subs you can then go further into guided AP which will need further equipment, computer, guide camera, guide scope etc. As you can see AP takes a lot of time, money and patience and is a bit of a learning curve and that's before you tackle the processing. When you get to this stage you will realise that AP is an upward spiral of equipment such better mounts better scopes, CCD cooled cameras and so on, but don't be put off think of this as a journey and take your time getting there. I would also recommend going to your local astronomical society as they will have members well experienced in AP and you can get first hand advice.

Archived