Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
IamAdam

Skywatcher 250/1200 Newtonian

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm saving money to buy a professional telescope for visual observing (deep sky) and astrophotograpy. I was wondering whether someone here has experience with the following equipment:

250/1200 SkyWatcher Newtonian telescope on EQ5 or EQ6

Here is the link to the telescope.

As I've never done astrophotography, any other suggestion would be appreciated!

Adam

Edited by IamAdam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have experience of this system for both observing and imaging although mine was an older version of the one you are looking into buying. I had my SW SPX 250 mounted on an EQ6 and this is the minimum, mount that you should consider for this telescope.

I really like mine although these days, I have the original telescope mounted on a Dobsonian mounting so I only use it for observing now but that is not because there is anything wrong with the telescope, it is just that I have fallen in love with refractors for imaging!

However, as you are starting out in astrophotography, I would recommend the EQ6 mount but consider a good quality refractor with half the focal length as this will make it MUCH easier to achieve great images.

The mount is the most important component so don't go backwards on that for astrophotography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Adam

I have the old (blue) version of that scope on the original black EQ6, which still seems to be sold in the advert you link to, although I thought these versions were long gone. If it is the same, then the older version I have does not have guide scope connectivity. This my be worth bearing in mind if you really get into astrophotography. I would say the scope would be a bit too big for the EQ5 and you should consider the EQ6. It is a big (and heavy ...) mount but the 250 needs it. This applies even more so to astrophotography.

Regards, Gordon

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Yes, I have experience of this system for both observing and imaging although mine was an older version of the one you are looking into buying. I had my SW SPX 250 mounted on an EQ6 and this is the minimum, mount that you should consider for this telescope.

I really like mine although these days, I have the original telescope mounted on a Dobsonian mounting so I only use it for observing now but that is not because there is anything wrong with the telescope, it is just that I have fallen in love with refractors for imaging!

However, as you are starting out in astrophotography, I would recommend the EQ6 mount but consider a good quality refractor with half the focal length as this will make it MUCH easier to achieve great images.

The mount is the most important component so don't go backwards on that for astrophotography.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I don't really know why but I tend to think Newtonian telescopes are better for imaging... I need to change this way of thinking I guess. I'll reconsider the options as these telescopes are not cheap at all. Thanks for the useful comments!

Adam

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Hi Adam

I have the old (blue) version of that scope on the original black EQ6, which still seems to be sold in the advert you link to, although I thought these versions were long gone. If it is the same, then the older version I have does not have guide scope connectivity. This my be worth bearing in mind if you really get into astrophotography. I would say the scope would be a bit too big for the EQ5 and you should consider the EQ6. It is a big (and heavy ...) mount but the 250 needs it. This applies even more so to astrophotography.

Regards, Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks a lot for your comment, it's very useful for me. I'll definitely go with EQ6 in case I decide to buy this scope.

Adam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IamAdam said:

I don't really know why but I tend to think Newtonian telescopes are better for imaging...

Reflectors can and do produce great images but there are additional challenges that add to the already complex process that is imaging! The relatively long focal length of 1200mm is just one of those additional complexities, others include, the requirement for regular collimation, mirror flop, dust collection and coma. All can be tackled but why make things more difficult than they need to be! :icon_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Reflectors can and do produce great images but there are additional challenges that add to the already complex process that is imaging! The relatively long focal length of 1200mm is just one of those additional complexities, others include, the requirement for regular collimation, mirror flop, dust collection and coma. All can be tackled but why make things more difficult than they need to be! :icon_biggrin:

True enough! :icon_biggrin:

I'll get deeper into this topic and only then decide what equipment to choose. I'm very excited to start imaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IamAdam said:

I'm very excited to start imaging.

It's an exciting aspect of astronomy, I envy you starting out on it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Cosmic Geoff
      With reluctance I am looking to sell my 200mm aperture f5 Helios Newtonian OTA. (Helios is a brand that became incorporated into Skywatcher - this closely resembles Skywatcher OTAs)
      The Helios is offered with single speed rack & pinion focuser, tube rings, 22 to 1.25" adaptor, dovetail bar and grab handle for £90 o.n.o.  In good condition except that the dovetail bar appears to be discoloured by exposure to sunlight.
      I have not used the telescope for many months and with a persistent problem in my right arm my enthusiasm for moving heavy kit around has diminished.
      Buyer to collect from North Bucks.
      Offered as option with the OTA: EQ5 mount with RA drive + 6 volt sealed lead-acid battery +charger + standard and extra long Dec slow motion manual shafts. £150. Condition - used but working.
       
      If I sell the OTA I will be looking to dispose of its accessories:
      9x50 Skywatcher straight finder - in excellent condition except that the small plastic dust cap is missing.
      Cheshire collimator, boxed, as new.
      Helical fine focuser, range 10mm, ID 1.25", screws into 2"adapter.
      3x Datysun Barlow, as new, boxed.
      Widefield eyepiece, 22mm f.l., 30mm body (note not 1.25")  with built in focus, works well with this telescope.
      Plastic collimation cap (no cost).
      This bundle would cost around £114 new - offered if bought with scope at £75 o.n.o.
       
       





    • By stardude07
      Hey everyone!

      I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Christopher, 30, from the United States and have been living in Europe for a few years. I mostly enjoy astrophotography when the weather permits. I hope to make a few new friends here and learn a lot about astrophotography. I have more gear than I should compared to how much I actually know about astrophotography but I am always willing to learn new tricks. I just got a new Stellarvue OTA, so I'm also new to middle range focal length. Can't wait to see what y'all have to offer on these forums
      Christopher

    • By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello to all!
      Posting a photograph of the Summer Milky Way band that I took last week.
      However, I do not know how should I feel about this!
      This is when the band was right overhead, which is a rare sight for us and happens only when monsoon season is delayed. There was decent glow towards horizon but literally nothing at zenith.
      19 degrees north latitude, around Bortle 3 level sky, taken using Nikon 5300, basic lens.
      And with this, I prepare to have no view of stars till September ends 

    • By Saj_37uk
      Looking for the 2" low profile extension tube that is provided with most of the skywatcher scopes. I have a used 190MN that didn't come with the extension tube and need it to get accurate focus. 
       
      I believe Orion scopes may have one too.
    • By fifeskies
      The weights from my NEQ6 are beginning to look scruffy.
      Is there a good colour match car type spray that anyone would recommend for sprucing them up.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.