Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
IamAdam

Skywatcher 250/1200 Newtonian

Hello,

I'm saving money to buy a professional telescope for visual observing (deep sky) and astrophotograpy. I was wondering whether someone here has experience with the following equipment:

250/1200 SkyWatcher Newtonian telescope on EQ5 or EQ6

Here is the link to the telescope.

As I've never done astrophotography, any other suggestion would be appreciated!

Adam

Edited by IamAdam

Yes, I have experience of this system for both observing and imaging although mine was an older version of the one you are looking into buying. I had my SW SPX 250 mounted on an EQ6 and this is the minimum, mount that you should consider for this telescope.

I really like mine although these days, I have the original telescope mounted on a Dobsonian mounting so I only use it for observing now but that is not because there is anything wrong with the telescope, it is just that I have fallen in love with refractors for imaging!

However, as you are starting out in astrophotography, I would recommend the EQ6 mount but consider a good quality refractor with half the focal length as this will make it MUCH easier to achieve great images.

The mount is the most important component so don't go backwards on that for astrophotography.

Hi Adam

I have the old (blue) version of that scope on the original black EQ6, which still seems to be sold in the advert you link to, although I thought these versions were long gone. If it is the same, then the older version I have does not have guide scope connectivity. This my be worth bearing in mind if you really get into astrophotography. I would say the scope would be a bit too big for the EQ5 and you should consider the EQ6. It is a big (and heavy ...) mount but the 250 needs it. This applies even more so to astrophotography.

Regards, Gordon

13 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Yes, I have experience of this system for both observing and imaging although mine was an older version of the one you are looking into buying. I had my SW SPX 250 mounted on an EQ6 and this is the minimum, mount that you should consider for this telescope.

I really like mine although these days, I have the original telescope mounted on a Dobsonian mounting so I only use it for observing now but that is not because there is anything wrong with the telescope, it is just that I have fallen in love with refractors for imaging!

However, as you are starting out in astrophotography, I would recommend the EQ6 mount but consider a good quality refractor with half the focal length as this will make it MUCH easier to achieve great images.

The mount is the most important component so don't go backwards on that for astrophotography.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I don't really know why but I tend to think Newtonian telescopes are better for imaging... I need to change this way of thinking I guess. I'll reconsider the options as these telescopes are not cheap at all. Thanks for the useful comments!

Adam

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Hi Adam

I have the old (blue) version of that scope on the original black EQ6, which still seems to be sold in the advert you link to, although I thought these versions were long gone. If it is the same, then the older version I have does not have guide scope connectivity. This my be worth bearing in mind if you really get into astrophotography. I would say the scope would be a bit too big for the EQ5 and you should consider the EQ6. It is a big (and heavy ...) mount but the 250 needs it. This applies even more so to astrophotography.

Regards, Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks a lot for your comment, it's very useful for me. I'll definitely go with EQ6 in case I decide to buy this scope.

Adam

1 minute ago, IamAdam said:

I don't really know why but I tend to think Newtonian telescopes are better for imaging...

Reflectors can and do produce great images but there are additional challenges that add to the already complex process that is imaging! The relatively long focal length of 1200mm is just one of those additional complexities, others include, the requirement for regular collimation, mirror flop, dust collection and coma. All can be tackled but why make things more difficult than they need to be! :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Reflectors can and do produce great images but there are additional challenges that add to the already complex process that is imaging! The relatively long focal length of 1200mm is just one of those additional complexities, others include, the requirement for regular collimation, mirror flop, dust collection and coma. All can be tackled but why make things more difficult than they need to be! :icon_biggrin:

True enough! :icon_biggrin:

I'll get deeper into this topic and only then decide what equipment to choose. I'm very excited to start imaging.

6 minutes ago, IamAdam said:

I'm very excited to start imaging.

It's an exciting aspect of astronomy, I envy you starting out on it!

• Like 1