SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help for a real noob please

Zayvin

Hi folks,

I am very, very new to this game but would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed.

The equipment in my signature is what i have at present, and i am in the process of acquiring a ZWO ASI224 camera. Could you please advise on the best way to attach this to my optical chain?

You basically have to attach the camera to the focuser such that the image is "focused" on the sensor at the same setting as when the eyepiece is in. I think it will mean a short extension tube to slide the eyepiece into as that is the item that needs to be furthest back.

Any tube will be a bit of a DIY/Custom job. That would mean that then you can center and focus the target in the eyepiece then swap to the camera.

If as I suspect the scope is Alt/Az that means basically planetary imaging. Jupiter is visible at this time in the South or South East. Just been stood out side looking at it. For something like Jupiter you may find that adding a 2x or 2.5x TV powermate to the optical chain is useful to increase the image size. For Jupiter yuou might also have to limit any video to 90 to 120 seconds. Juipter rotates fast and the software cannot then align it all.

You will need to run the camera as a webcam, basically something like 30 fps.

Once you have the video of the planet you will load into Registax or AS2 to select the best (say) 20% and stack these. then relatively simple processing in Registax using their wavelets.

If the idea was DSO imaging then it is difficult. Basically the scope is slow, f/10, and the mount is Alt/Az you really need an Equatorial. DSO imaging is done on them but it means "changes". Mount needs to be Equatorial (preferably a pier) and you likely need a reducer. May be easier to purchase DSO imaging equipment as in an Eq mount and a small fast refractor. Any Eq for a 925 will need to be fairly big and big means expensive.

Archived