Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just set up the new bins on the P-mount

Here they are on the DIY P-mount. I needed to add an M12 bolt, with two washers and a nut as extra counterweight, but now it moves nicely.

IMG_20171208_223449.thumb.jpg.32ee6178c415e8f583cb640cf0064b6c.jpg

Can't wait to get this combo out of the kitchen and under clear skies

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

They really are lovely looking bins. Im curious as to how much they weigh.

Just over 2.5 kg, only a touch heavier than the Helios Apollo 15x70

Funny old thing, just comparing the weights between the Helios Apollo's,  Oberwerk Ultras's and the Orion Resolux units?

The DIY mount  looks solid/sturdy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charic said:

Funny old thing, just comparing the weights between the Helios Apollo's,  Oberwerk Ultras's and the Orion Resolux units?

The DIY mount  looks solid/sturdy.

All three you mention are BA-8 type binoculars, and the 70mm types weigh just a little less than the Helios LightQuest 16x80. The Apollo 15x70 I had was a great workhorse, great optics, very nice to use, but the LightQuest is definitely better.

• Like 2

I've had the Apollo's but only briefly, needed to return them before any real testing took place, but all I ever read about BA-8's is positive. Still haven't decoded BA? 

I'm also still inclined to get the Oberwerk brand! but my mind and eyes are open to  any recommendations.

I just had the combo outside, and the results are very pleasing indeed. Stars are sharp out to at least 85-90% of the radius of the FOV . Views of the Pleiades and other open clusters were superb, what with the added stability from the mount. Really pleased with the views

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charic said:

I've had the Apollo's but only briefly, needed to return them before any real testing took place, but all I ever read about BA-8's is positive. Still haven't decoded BA? 

I'm also still inclined to get the Oberwerk brand! but my mind and eyes are open to  any recommendations.

Whats diferance between the Apollos and the Oberwerks ?

The mount looks excellent Michael, nice bit of work! Bins look good too, have fun out there!

25 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

.....with the added stability from the mount.......

....I think a lot of folk miss out on this feature, especially on lower powered binoculars.
It makes so much difference.

My mount of choice uses the Manfrotto 222 trigger grip, steady as a rock, and  quick to move, perfect for my needs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Whats diferance between the Apollos and the Oberwerks ?

The name. In all honesty, probably just the name, their literally the same binocular, comparing Apollo with the Ultra.

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charic said:

The name. In all honesty, probably just the name, their literally the same binocular, comparing Apollo with the Ultra.

thx mate :)