SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark Sky Status - Near Inverness.

Charic

An area of woodland next to Loch Ness has become a Dark Sky Discovery site?
Abriachan Forest Trust has been awarded Milky Way class Dark Sky status, the first location in the Inverness area to receive the certification.

Even down my my back road, if the conditions are good, the  views are stunning, and  I'm about the same latitude  as Skye, and some of you may have  already read the stunning reports from the Dob Mob!

Its good news for the folk of Inverness, though I still think my preferred site around the fresh water loch at  Lochindorb is better suited/situated and more remote, and only 40 mins drive from the city of Elgin!

1 hour ago, Charic said:

An area of woodland next to Loch Ness has become a Dark Sky Discovery site?
Abriachan Forest Trust has been awarded Milky Way class Dark Sky status, the first location in the Inverness area to receive the certification.

Even down my my back road, if the conditions are good, the  views are stunning, and  I'm about the same latitude  as Skye, and some of you may have  already read the stunning reports from the Dob Mob!

Its good news for the folk of Inverness, though I still think my preferred site around the fresh water loch at  Lochindorb is better suited/situated and more remote, and only 40 mins drive from the city of Elgin!

You really do need to get that big Dob you have been promising yourself for years Charic.

With Sky's like that on your door step it's a sin not to go BIG ??

1 hour ago, estwing said:

cool can we rough camp?

You can just about camp anywhere in Scotland, and walk over most land, the laws of trespass are somewhat different in Scotland, but wise to check just in-case.
Would be daft having a dark sky park, if we could only access it till midnight for example. 

As for Lochindorb, even the fishing is free if your only fishing for wild brown trout, and I have camped there on many occasions in the past when the young ones were growing up. There is an estate at Lochindorb, and a huge campsite bonfire may draw some attention, but I have never been interrupted or questioned in the past. The darkness my spook you, especially when the Capercaillie chatter away? the first time had me spooked, as I'd never heard such a sound, and your mind plays wonderfull tricks when it comes to the unknown.

EDIT: Just found this statement, dated 2017, though its been some Years (+18) since I last  physically camped their, but even back then, the staff were friendly, and helpful.

Would anglers please note that free bank fishing on Lochindorb is no longer allowed due to litter and anti-social behaviour by certain groups of anglers. Permission of the owners MUST be sought before fishing Lochindorb

Although it mentions 'certain anglers' Ive seen on more than one occasion, visitors/tourists camping, quite often with foreign plated vehicles, but that's not to say some of the locals can't/don't leave a mess, rather than take it away.
This just spoils the use of the facility for us and harmful to the wildlife/nature,  (rant over!). 

1 hour ago, estwing said:

can you mark it on a map pls?

Lochindorb is more secluded, as you can see from this image, but almost anywhere up here, if you can't see man-made light, and observe on a good seeing night, Moonless of course, it's a bonus!
With the Cairngorm mountain range just below Lochindorb at Aviemore, its one of the coldest, windiest places on our 'Island' during the Winter months!
Winds of 173 mph recorded and 194 mph ( not-verified ) have been observed there.

Observing from Dark Skies, Scotland.jpg

14 hours ago, Charic said:

Lochindorb is better suited/situated and more remote

I think one of the criteria for dark sky status is accessibility, which is why there are better, but remote sites, that don't get the status. 

Good news though. Wish I had skies like that down the back of my road :)

Archived