Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Heritage 130p with Baader Hyperion Zoom Issue

Craig79

Hi,

I've just purchased a Mk3 Hyperion zoom from a member on here for my SW heritage 130p and I cant get the lens to focus when the trusses are fully extended. I have to drop them by about 20mm to get the lens to focus. Is this normal (its a lovely image when it focusses) or do I need to get some sort of adaptor so I can use it without moving the trusses? I've pictured the lens.

Thanks,

Craig

20171208_210553.jpg

Presuming that you’ve turned the focuser all the way in ?  If that still doesn’t bring the eyepiece to focus, then there’s 2 options.

The first you’ve already tried, and that’s the simplest option. The second option is to move the primary mirror up the tube, closer to the secondary. That’s usually not a difficult mod, if you are a DIY sort of person. But if the view is good by lowering the upper tube on the extending truss tubes, then you’re sorted, not entirely ideal, but works. How’s the collimatiion using that method ?

Ed.

The focusser is screwed tight in and the lens is sat right on top of it so theres no room for movement there. I think I'll stick to dropping the trusses. The whole idea of this is a very quick grab and go with one lens so if I have to re-collimate for it then thats not a problem. 

Thanks. 

Ideal & as a guide scope too with a shroud.  I might get my brother one for Christmas. 

Since moving the trusses in works, perhaps the mirror FL is not quite as should be, or the trusses are longer than they should be. Craig79 have you tried any other eye pieces?

The Seben Zoom 24-8 gets nicely into focus with the Heritage 130 P Flextube, is much lighter, and gives quite decent views (apart from the narrow AFOV at the 24 mm focal length - the same with the Baader). It's my grab-and-go eyepiece, combined with a Baader 2,25 Barlow for higher magnifications.

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, if an eyepiece failed my test or is somehow not compatible with 'the' scope, I would bin the eyepiece, rather than have to modify the scope in any way.
Having said that, here's a thread from 2015,  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/245520-hyperion-zoom-and-heritage-130p/ with a comment suggesting an adjustment to the dovetail for balance.

Hope you find a solution. 

Thanks for the link Charic. 

The scope is sorted now, I just pull the trusses out to 20mm from their max travel and everything works fine. I marked it all ul with tape today and double checked the colimation. Just need a cloudless sky now which hasn't happened since I bought the lens (or at least not during the narrow band of time when the kids are asleep and I'  awake.   

Archived