Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to set DSLR up for multiple exposures ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Canon 80D has an interval timer built into it but I'm not sure if that's the same thing, I have a standard shutter release cable already.

On the interval menu I can choose the number of shots and the interval between each one. But I can't specify how long each exposure should take.

As stated above you can do it with a remote shutter trigger... or you can connect your DSLR to a laptop via USB and use software like APT to do it.

With software you can set not only multiple exposures, but you can also do sets like for example 30 x 60 second ISO 800, 10 x 180 second ISO800 and 10 x 600 second ISO400.

+1 for the intervalometer. Intervalometer is a good and inexpensive way to go but if you can live with 50 or 100 sec exposures  the the Star Adventurer will do it for you by the using the Snap connection on it.

If you have a tablet there are aps that allow you to change settings, set intervals, delays, alter ISO &c and to adjust focus on the tablet screen (much easier than using the screen on the back of the DSLR).

One such ap for Canon DSLRs is DSLR controller https://dslrcontroller.com/

Alternatively, the free version of Astro Photography Tool runs on a laptop and will allow control of the camera and a lot more besides.

1 minute ago, almcl said:

If you have a tablet there are aps that allow you to change settings, set intervals, delays, alter ISO &c and to adjust focus on the tablet screen (much easier than using the screen on the back of the DSLR).

One such ap for Canon DSLRs is DSLR controller https://dslrcontroller.com/

Alternatively, the free version of Astro Photography Tool runs on a laptop and will allow control of the camera and a lot more besides.

I could download that app on my Android phone, and my DSLR has Wi-Fi. Can that app let me specify the duration of each exposure and how many... say for instance I wanted to take 30 x 60 second shots?

20 minutes ago, smr said:

Can that app let me specify the duration of each exposure and how many... say for instance I wanted to take 30 x 60 second shots?

Yes, it can.  The documentation isn't all that clear, but I ran multiple exposures of anything up to 10 minutes using my Android tablet (the 10 inch screen at 10x magnification was handy for getting focus, when I didn't yet have a Bahtinov mask).

Had a thread here which gives a quick version of how to do it.

Thanks. I've just installed DSLRController. Upon connecting my phone to my 80D it says "Detected possible problomatic camera configuration: Please make sure C.Fn IV: Operation/Others: Custom controls has both the shutter and AF-ON buttons set to AF. 

I think that's because I use back button focusing on my DSLR. Will it be a problem for AP though? I'd be focusing manually anyway so hopefully not ? 

I've set it to bulb mode on the camera, then type in bulb duration 6000, which took me to another screen and i've set it to interval 02s 000ms , shots 30 , 58 seconds...

So does that mean it'll shoot 30 photos, 58 seconds each exposure with a 2 second delay between each shot? 

I have a Canon 80D and although I can control it over wifi with either the Canon camera connect app via phone or tablet or EOS utils with a PC I still use an intervalometer sometimes. The wifi apps are great for focussing though..

Alan

10 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have a Canon 80D and although I can control it over wifi with either the Canon camera connect app via phone or tablet or EOS utils with a PC I still use an intervalometer sometimes. The wifi apps are great for focussing though..

Alan

Which intervalometer do you have?

19 minutes ago, smr said:

Which intervalometer do you have?

I use an expensive intervalometer because I wanted remote shooting as I have the ability to focus and view the image over wifi, the unit is the Giga T pro 2 but any of the standard cheap ones are fine and they ultimately do the same job.

Alan

There are wifi time lapse intervalometers search eBay or Amazon. DSLR controller is a good start, practice in the day, do look at APT if you have a laptop or windows tablet.  Remember it's a steep learning curve, keep notes perhaps, no one finds it easy to start, too many options and it's just a camera taking pictures !!

Ok thanks for the replies. I think that apps or intervalometers allow you more creativity over the Star Adventurer? May be wrong.

Just one thing I really can't seem to find anything on - how long should I leave the interval between each shot. I can't find any advice on this at all.

5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I leave about 10-15 seconds on my camera, if you find your camera noisy leave 30 seconds.You learn by trial and error no two systems are identical too many variables.

what's the theory behind it? why not leave 2 or 5 seconds between each shot? what is the difference? Is it to let the sensor cool between each shot or something?

Archived