SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with batteries

I recommend a power adapter... you will be able to run you DSLR from the mains and won't have to worry about batteries. Batteries are good when new, but things like moisture and cold temperatures severely and quickly degrades them.

6D batteries are 1500mA ? and the only higher mA rated batteries are the knock off the original... their life is a lot shorter than genuine... hence the price for them... I recommend stick to genuine batteries for you Canon, you always get what you pay for.

In my experience all of my knock offs died fast and the Canon batteries still work very well 8-10 years later.

I can not find any power specs for the mount except that is needs 12V, nothing about power consumption...
the same for the Mgen and the dew heaters. The size and brand of the dew heaters is important information as well.

If you can provide us with the amperage it will be easy arithmetic. Without that it will be a guess.
So, if you can give more information, I can give you a better answer...

I assume you will take spare dedicated batteries for your canon?

Your choice of power source is the best available for use in the field, but expensive...
If near a mains power outlet, a power adapter would be your best and cheapest option. like MarsG76 pointed out.

For the Avolon M zero the power consumtion.

For the canon 6d I use a 12 volt adapter.

Dew heaters for the two 1.5 Ah

Lacetera Mgen II 160 mA

Regards Paul

power:    4W (0.33A)

power:    4W (0.33A)

Operating mode Torque: 60% Torque: 100% Torque: 150%
Stand-by 0.11 A 0.11 A 0.11 A
Normal tracking 0.41 A 0.93 A 1.91 A
Slewing (one motor) 0.52 A (peak: 1.20 A) 0.76 A (peak: 1.50 A) 1.30 A (peak: 2.10 A)
Slewing (two motors) 0.62 A (peak: 2.00 A) 0.63 A (peak: 2.00 A)

0.62 A (peak: 2.30 A)

Hi Paul,

For the mount with 100% torque and and 1/2 hour slewing time per imaging session of 8 hours: ± 9 Ah
Laceta 8 hours: 1,3 Ah ; Dew control @ 50% power over 8 hours: 6 Ah

the total power use without the camera would be ± 17,5 Ah for an eight hour imaging session
your Acer is 24 Ah and can be drained to at least 80%, so about 20Ah is available. Leaves 2,5 Ah for the Canon.

This means that you could easily be out for 8 hours with a fully charged thermo insulated battery in good condition.

Keep in mind that this is an estimation, hard accurate figures are impossible, for too many unknown factors are involved, like camera power consumption and slewing time as well as dew control. But a full night imaging should be possible. The proof will be in the pudding, though.

Archived