Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just Joined

Grizwold225

Hi Everyone,

I've been very interested in astronomy since I was a kid. Never really started 'looking' until I saw the incredible photos sent back by Hubbell. Started out with a Tasco Galaxsee, but what with work, the house etc. etc. things got in the way and viewing fell by the wayside. I've retired now  and looking for something interesting to fill the hours, and my wife suggested I get back to 'star gazing'. With this in mind she has bought me  a new telescope for Christmas. I know what it is, it's too big to hide and the paper mills haven't got enough time between now and the 25th  to produce enough wrapping paper! And, it's very difficult to hide all those big, heavy brown boxes. Not having done any 'star gazing' for years, we may have gone a bit over the top with the 'starter' scope. But, all the reviews say it is very good and excellent, so I'll go by what my peers say. What is it, I can hear you all asking. Well, it's an Explorer-200P (HEQ5 PRO SynScan) 200mm f/1000 GOTO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector, and a 17Ah Power Tank. That's what all the papers and handbook says. Question, why do all these things like the Power Tank always have to have sockets for plugging phones into, flashing lights, and a radio? And a car battery booster?

As I said, I am retired so have plenty of time to get to know how to set it up and use it. The other problem I have is that just at the moment I am disabled (awaiting a hip replacement) and can't get about too well, so it will be back garden viewing. It looks a phenomenal piece of kit and, as the moon and sun are probably the only two things I can readily identify, (I know  - don't even try to view the sun) the computerised finder and auto tracker should soon (?) help me recognise a few more of the things out there.

Hopefully, as I do have plenty of time on my hands, and can't get about too well, and have to sit a lot, I can take my time with getting it set up - I have visited Astro-Baby for an idiots guide to Polar Alignment and Collimating. Just those two things are like learning new foreign languages!

You're probably thinking too much, too soon, as I was initially but, having searched and read more about it, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in and getting going with it. It is an awesome piece of kit and hopefully, I'll be able to come back to you and let you know I've succeeded in getting it going.

One final thing, does anyone know if there is a cart available to stack it on to pull it round, because it's too damn heavy to carry!

Thanks for bearing with me. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. Congratulations on your new acquisition. You should have many hours of fun and education with it.

You will need something to collimate it with. Have a look on FLO, forum sponsor, for a Cheshire eyepiece.

Welcome back to stargazing again, and to this friendly forum!

An 8" on a Equatorial mount is a very versatile lifetime instrument, so you won't have to buy twice. Take yourself time, start with the moon and bright objects (Orion nebula; Pleiades), and within a few weeks you will master your scope and mount. Keep on asking here - and start an observation diary/logbook; it's fun to re-read one' s steps in stargazing in cloudy nights.

Stephan

Re a 'cart' there are several options  I prefer a 'sack' barrow  with a  couple of extra castors so it can be used flat

it is a useful piece of kit , and not only for moving your 'scope' . As Ian has said get the recommended eye piece

and you are good to go,

Another thing to consider is to set your 'scope up in daylight focusing on the farthest object  you can see (hope

you have a good  clear view )        any way all the best and have fun :icon_biggrin::thumbsup:

Regards and clear skies           Robin.    

HEQ5 is quite a chunk so plan on ways to move it around. I worked out the best way to move my HEQ5 was to get an EQ5.

If I recall there is a club at Paxton Pits, used to meet on a Monday but not heard much about them for some time. Big club at Bedford over to your West, straight down the A1 is Letchworth - useful as they meet to observe on Fridays and Saturdays at Standalone Farm. The other "easy" one would be up the A1 then over the A428 and pick up the Madingly Rd (A1303) and visit the Institute of Astronomy. They hold a talk every Wednesday and the Camb Astro Assoc put on a presentation if it is clear. It is all free.

Talk is just 30 minutes so best to give it a try if the weather is clear as otherwise it is a fair drive for a 30 minute Astro talk.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you will find time to use the new scope and you will find the way to best set it up and move it about.

For simply Stargazing, and reclining, don't discount a good seat and  some binoculars, its  less strenuous, just as much fun, but don't go too high with the magnification. 10x or less will be more favourable, and easier to hand hold.
Binoculars or Telescope, neither one will show any Star detail, as Stars are just points of light. I favour my 8x40's for this task, with about  an 8° degree view.

6 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Welcome to SGL. Congratulations on your new acquisition. You should have many hours of fun and education with it.

You will need something to collimate it with. Have a look on FLO, forum sponsor, for a Cheshire eyepiece.

Thanks for the greetings. There are some things I had read. I have ordered a Cheshire already. We have the TV transmitter as a tall distant object, and it does have lots of red lights on it to aim at. I have also looked at societies around and Bedford looks quite good, especially as they have access to a large scope in the grounds of Bedford School. I'll keep you up to date on my getting going and hope I don't have to bother you too much. Thinking about a trolley, there are these garden trailer things on pneumatic tyres. May look at one of them.

Hi Griz, welcome to SGL!

An 8inch can be a handful if you are disabled. Maybe get some neighbours interested to help you out, or best bet, get involved in your local astronomy society?

All the best!

Feel free to post more questions.

Clear skies!

Hello, and welcome to SGL.

If you use a PC, it is worth downloading the planetarium program "Stellarium". I use Synscan on my Az/Alt mounts, and use Stellarium to select the best bright stars for alignment, and also to plan an evening's observing. I also have an 8" tablet and use the "SkyPortal" app. There is also an app. "Synscaninit" that displays date, time, and GPS location; in a form for direct entry on the Synscan handset.

Geoff

Archived