SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planning an imaging session

GraemeH

As an imaging newcomer, I have begun by trying simply to pick targets that are a good size for my scope/camera combination to try to fit the frame nicely.  For me this is anything up to around 50' in apparent diameter.  I am keen to make the best use of any period of clear skies, and I'd love to know if there are any special criteria that are helpful in choosing targets or if it's simply a case of choosing something that is in a clearly visible part of the sky.  I'm using a DSLR at prime focus and guiding using an OAG if that makes any difference to target selection.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this for how you all select your targets.

Thanks,

Graeme

I use Stellarium to plan my targets - you can input your camera / scope details and it helps with framing. Once happy, I copy the coordinates and paste them into Sequence Generator Pro and my targets are ready to go to plate solving.

Not really just something that interests you. Avoid M42 and M31. Might be an idea to go for a galaxy or globular cluster as these are not Ha targets and an unmodified DSLR is not great on a target that is Ha.

Really pick something you like, maybe a little different, perhaps well away from where a meridian flip may be required and stand outside getting hyperthermia.

Nice way to do it is go to https://dso-browser.com/ put in your equipment details it saves all your details once registered and then you can browse other people's photographs and see exactly what you it would look like on yours. It will even save a observing list for you for different times of the year.

Regards

Gerry

Archived