Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar glasses dangers

Knighty2112

I myself have experienced a similar situation to what she is talking about in the article, but thankfully it resolved (almost) completely.  I had a halogen bulb turn on about 6" from my right eye, and I temporarliy lost the entire central 10% part of my vision.   That night I was driving and I couldnt see the size of a car in my right eye in the central part of my vision, other eye fine.  The optician was able to see a mark on my retina.  I monitored the size of the affected area by drawing it out using graph paper, and after 2-3 weeks it slowly receeded.  I can only imagine how much of a frustration this is for her, hopefully this is an isolated case.

Unfortunate as this situation is, I think it is a rare but possible result of exposure to solar radiation. Some people are much more sensitive to bright light, my wife can't look at anything bright without discomfort whereas it never bothers me. When we were kids, and didn't know any better, we used to see who could look at the Sun longest without protection!, there was always an after image that persisted for some time but no apparent long term damage. I would be the last one to condone any form of unsafe solar observation, particularly as I'm an experienced solar observer and now know better.   :icon_biggrin:

Yeah I can’t look anywhere near bright lights the older I’m getting the more sensitive my eyes. I do have solar glasses & solar scope. The effects sound very similar to the symptoms I see ( or don’t see actually) when I get a migraine & interesting I have to remove my glasses to improve my vision when I get them. Another interesting use of adaptive optics technology though.

Any dealers of astronomy-goods on Amazon were suspect. So Amazon simply added the sellers to a long-list of vendors - and gave it to the government. And these people were utterly innocent. Mostly well-known shops like AgenaAstro. In the case of the manufacturer of the popular 'Heliopod' (FARLaboratory) sun-finder, he was kicked out of Amazon forever. as he made  - :eek: -  a solar-filter. No optics involved though. He had to close his business.

I knew about this mess long time back, I have friends who are in business - most notably an owner of Agena.

IMPORTANT AUTHENTICITY AND SAFETY INFORMATION.pdf

Eclipse Aftermath Brings Lawsuit Against Amazon.pdf

Amazon Eclipse Glasses Recall Creates Panic for Buyers, Sellers.pdf

Thank you for posting, Gus!

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

In the case of the manufacturer of the popular 'Heliopod' (FARLaboratory) sun-finder, he was kicked out of Amazon forever. as he made  - :eek: -  a solar-filter. No optics involved though. He had to close his business.

Aw man! Dave, that’s a real downer.

He’s a lovely guy, as we’ve discussed before, and doesn’t deserve that. 

Common sense is being bred out. ???

1 hour ago, Floater said:

Aw man! Dave, that’s a real downer.

He’s a lovely guy, as we’ve discussed before, and doesn’t deserve that. 

Common sense is being bred out. ???

It's the New American Business-Paradigm: The Customer is NEVER Right. If they Complain - Push 'em under the Bus!

:eek:

Dave

Archived