SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium lock up

Davey-T

Downloaded latest Stellarium to new Win10 laptop and it runs fine as long as I don't close the laptop lid, if I do it locks up and I have to stop it with task manager.

Anyone  else experienced this ?

Other programs seem OK after shutting and opening the lid.

Dave

Just been experimenting and what appears to be happening is the longer I leave the lid shut the more the screen jumps about, if I shut and open the lid it just locks up, if I leave it shut for 30sec's the screen wobbles and if I leave it shut for any length of time it jumps back and forwards a fair bit.

It appears that it is jumping back and forth continuously between the time it was at when I shut the lid and the time it is when I open the lid so the longer the lid is shut the bigger the jumps when I open it again if that makes sense.

Dave

I've had Stellarium lock up my PC occasionally which required using the task manager to kill the program. To avoid this I would set the program off full screen using the button at the bottom. I have recently discovered that this setting can be saved using the Save View button in the Configuration function on the left.

I find I can in effect only run Stellarium on its own. If Stellarium is running then I have to close or at the least minimise all other programs. It will then run fine and I can close it down at the end.

If I try to oen anything else then basically Stellarium and the other program will freeze. Eventually an action to close one [X] will operate but it takes several minutes. Task Manager is also slow.

Appears to bve taking a lot of cpu time, as in a good 100%.

One of those things that I know so before Stellarium I close whatever I can and minimise the rest - usually it is the browser that gets minimised. As in you look at Stellarium to supplu an answer. What I cannot do is have Stellarium up and open the browser back up. That means a long waity for any response. That response being the completion of killing off one of them.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

I find I can in effect only run Stellarium on its own. If Stellarium is running then I have to close or at the least minimise all other programs. It will then run fine and I can close it down at the end.

If I try to oen anything else then basically Stellarium and the other program will freeze. Eventually an action to close one [X] will operate but it takes several minutes. Task Manager is also slow.

Appears to bve taking a lot of cpu time, as in a good 100%.

One of those things that I know so before Stellarium I close whatever I can and minimise the rest - usually it is the browser that gets minimised. As in you look at Stellarium to supplu an answer. What I cannot do is have Stellarium up and open the browser back up. That means a long waity for any response. That response being the completion of killing off one of them.

Sounds like you need a better computer! Faster cpu, more memory!

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Sounds like you need a better computer! Faster cpu, more memory !

So you think .7 7700 2.80GHz 16GB ram Win10 64bit 250SSD Geoforce GTX1050 ti is not fast enough then, damn it have to get a main frame :grin:

Dave

22 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

So you think .7 7700 2.80GHz 16GB ram Win10 64bit 250SSD Geoforce GTX1050 ti is not fast enough then, damn it have to get a main frame :grin:

Dave

Ha ha - yeah that should be plenty fast enough!! Could be something is/was running in the background using up your cpu bandwidth. Look in task manager. I have two problems running win 10 on an old 32-bit system (not used for imaging or any astro stuff). One is win 10 doing updates and virtually locking me out with no on-screen messages. The other is anti-virus software doing things periodically and using up cpu/disk/memory. But that is an old Celeron and I keep meaning to update the whole system but it's such a hassle... One of these days I'll do it!

Louise

ps there's a lot to be said for isolating an astro system from the internet :)

Thanks Louise, I've just bought this laptop mainly for image processing so loaded all the usual astro related stuff and it all works OK.

I'm pretty sure Stellarium worked OK when I first installed it about a week ago may have been stuffed by one of MS wonderful updates.

Waiting to see if Alex spots this as he seems to monitor the forum for mentions of Stellarium

Dave

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like Windows 10 was doing an update. I've had some recently which took hours even on my i5 and i7 systems :( I take it you installed Stellarium 64 - I'm sure you must have! I don't think it was likely to have been Stellarium itself. Have you tried it again since?

As you say, Alex should notice your post! :)

Louise

6 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like Windows 10 was doing an update. I've had some recently which took hours even on my i5 and i7 systems :( I take it you installed Stellarium 64 - I'm sure you must have! I don't think it was likely to have been Stellarium itself. Have you tried it again since?

As you say, Alex should notice your post! :)

Louise

Yes still the same, as soon as I close the lid it locks up and the only way to stop it is with Task Manager.

Dave

5 minutes ago, alexwolf said:

I saw the report, but I cannot confirm the problem or refute it because I don't have laptop, so I cannot check it. I've asked my colleague for Stellarium development team  to check this report.

Thanks Alex, no big deal just have to remember not to close the lid :grin:

Dave

I have been co-developing Stellarium on Notebooks with Geforce 9800/WinXP (now my main Linux test set besides the SoCs), a then superb Geforce 580M/Win7 and now a good but not superb Geforce 960M/Win10.  I also have a very weak netbook with AMD A4-1200 APU to test the low end in the zoo. I have not seen this problem in the last few years (since about Win7? Or since Qt5? Cannot remember!), so this may depend on your hardware. Try updating your drivers. (Graphic drivers, chipset drivers may have been updated to solve such hibernation issues!)

Archived