Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

coatesg

Belt, Sword, Loop: Needing more S and less N

Another widefield I took on 25th/26th Nov using my Baader modded 350d and Canon 85mm EF f1.8 USM (working at f4.5). This is 21x5min, so 1h45m total taken at ISO400 using an IDAS P2 filter from here in Oxfordshire. 

I'm sure the region doesn't need too much introduction. To be honest, it needs a lot more exposure, and arguably taking with something more sensitive with less read noise! Being a bit further south would help me too...there was a heavy dose of DBE to sort the gradients out here. 

Barnard's Loop, the Bogeyman, M42/3, Flame and Horsehead all relatively easy, and the dusty stuff (part of The Orion Molecular Cloud Complex) that extends between them passing by M78 is reasonably obvious, though the fainter stuff is all a bit noisy still. There's also the bluish nebulosity LBN 915 *just* on the limit of visibility to the right of Sh2-278 that extends around the right of eta Orionis. As I said though, it all needs much greater SNR, and less need to resort to MMT for noise reduction... (any more and it started to adversely affect the image). 

Both images reduced to 2048px width here for convenience.

Thanks for looking.

orion_widefield_2048.thumb.jpg.4a531a866af7dcda1bc985729904371e.jpg

orion_widefield_2048_annotated.thumb.jpg.f269792eaebf3f91d4efdd39707ed063.jpg 

Edited by coatesg
Corrected the lens name!
  • Like 20

Excellent capture, well done

i must admit though that i have a soft spot for Orion,

Can't wait for this weather to improve,

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By smisy
      I just try to show the beauty of the night sky, and again the possibilities with a smartphone. There are already better applications at the google play to make the night lapse easy. At first I used the Gif maker pro. It's a good app to edit the frames, before creating video, but you can't save the videos in good quality. Now I use the TimeLab app (same developer, as Intervalometer app), in the editing it has not so many options, but with this app you can save the videos in 4K too, or full HD. This video is 360 frames (each 30 sec exposition at ISO 800) Huawei P10 monochrome camera, Intervalometer app, TimeLab app. Pictures taken in Kleinwalsertal, Austria 2019. 09. 23-24.  (The video is full HD, I don't know, why, but it doesn't run continuesly on my PC, when I watch that back on SGL. I hope, on your monitors you can enjoy it!)
      VID_timelab_20190924054735.mp4 VID_timelab_20190924054735.mp4
    • By kuvik
      Hello!

I'm from Hungary. This is my first post. I am glad to be here.
      Recently I'm trying to sketch some deep-sky objects. I've made this observation yesterday. Cygnus was near to the zenith and the sky was pretty dark.

NGC 7000 is one of my favourite target. I like to observe it with any telescopes, especially with RFTs and with UHC filter.
      Please excuse my language errors.

Gyuri
    • By Sky-searcher
      Before I purchase one, I’m wondering if anyone has a 50 or 60 mm RACI with illuminated eyepiece they would like to sell? Thanks Andy.
    • By Andywilliams
      Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
      Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
      However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
      I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.

• By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.