Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime moon for kids?

furrysocks2

My kids have been doing "space" as project all this term and I've offered to take in a scope (or two) on Monday next week, weather permitting, to show some kids the daytime moon.

I've got a 12" f/5 and an 8.5" f/7.6 - nice and big and impressive for the kids to wow at (I don't have anything smaller anymore). Obviously two scopes would probably need two folk to track and adjust. I'll need to have a couple of different heights of steps for them to use, and teachers can help them up and down.

I'm just planning to point and show. The thing is, I've never actually looked at a daytime moon myself. I've seen folk imaging it, and I guess contrast will be down.

Any input? I'm worried it might be underwhelming.

I think it should go down well, I often check out the moon in daylight

The earlier in the morning the better as the daylight will wash it out as it gets brighter.

If you keep the magnification lowish it would give a cleaner image for longer and would avoid too much tracking hassle.

3 minutes ago, Paz said:

I think it should go down well, I often check out the moon in daylight

The earlier in the morning the better as the daylight will wash it out as it gets brighter.

If you keep the magnification lowish it would give a cleaner image for longer and would avoid too much tracking hassle.

Cheers, Paz.

If the weather is ok over the next couple of days, I'll take a look myself.

We should start very shortly after sunrise - two hours max.

A decent 8 - 24mm Zoom eyepiece is a very good thing to invest in. Not only for your omn eyes, but for outreach work in your local park(s), schools, etc. And for kids - as kids (including the one in all of us) will be delighted for "Skydiving on the Moon!" Viewing colourful double-stars is a great nighttime adventure - watching the two colours split wider and wider in the eyepiece as you add more magnification is a treat - for adults and the young ones. Albireo is a show-stopper!

Something that's also a very good choice to bring with, if possible, is a good adjustable observing-chair. It's best to have your audience relaxed and comfortable at the eyepiece. This is especially true for kids' whose legs are shorter and often have to stretch upwards and uncomfortably while trying to see the through the eyepiece. Adults too.

Being a teacher is fun!

Dave

5a2a536e44f1e_AlbieroinCygnus(PNG).thumb.png.493c00eb1016cb66a353a3fa729776ed.png

Albireo

Is it the 10th or 17th Dec you observing on? The moon is just past last quarter on the 10th, so there should be some nice craters visible. Especially along the terminator. The views are not as contrasty, but still pretty good.

The 17th I don't think that it will be visible as it is new moon. 

5 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Is it the 10th or 17th Dec you observing on? The moon is just past last quarter on the 10th, so there should be some nice craters visible. Especially along the terminator. The views are not as contrasty, but still pretty good.

The 17th I don't think that it will be visible as it is new moon. 

Monday 11th - haven't quite worked out the ideal spot to set up, but I've got several options and I'll hopefully get a feel over the weekend if the clouds stay away.

Obviously, a night-time moon can appear blinding, but mostly I imagine due to the relative difference in brightness to that vs ambient. Does it need filtering during the day as it does at night?

8 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

Monday 11th - haven't quite worked out the ideal spot to set up, but I've got several options and I'll hopefully get a feel over the weekend if the clouds stay away.

Obviously, a night-time moon can appear blinding, but mostly I imagine due to the relative difference in brightness to that vs ambient. Does it need filtering during the day as it does at night?

Whoops sorry the 11th, you are correct about the brightness it will certainly not feel as bright as at night time. Not sure about filters I have never tried to be honest. I think I read somewhere about using a single Polarizing filter for daylight observing, I guess a bit of trial and error is going to be called for.

Well, the forecast changed from last night to this morning - from 0% to patchy cloud. I went in to school and cancelled, then five minutes later it cleared with a good broad clear patch that I figured could probably fit one class into.

So quickly hand-carried the 12" dob to school, set it up, adjustable observing chair alongside. I tried the 19mm, rather faint - orange filter didn't really improve contrast for me. Sent my mate home for the 35mm thinking that it might give a brighter moon at least, but I don't know where all the hair/fluff/dust has come from - that needs cleaned.

Anyway, settled for the 19mm, got the first two kids out for a look - quick tweak of the chair and re-centered the moon - he couldn't really see anything. Clouds approaching! Second kid up... "I think I can see some stuff.... can you see craters? yes, lots!".

Game over. Perhaps thankfully, given my own impression of the view. :/

The mirror was cooled, but was not totally clear - if any moisture that was on it was in fact ice, then it wasn't going to clear. Observing chair worked well, though.

• 1 month later...

Not just for kids!

The moon by day is a different sensation, especially against a blue sky. Not lit up but more like looking at a distant boulder of pumice (to me anyway). More ghostly, but also more fascinating, since it's just hanging there over the Earth in its starkness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived