SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Brief first light with the Helios LightQuest HR 16x80

I just managed to grab a quick first light with the new binoculars, seizing a short gap in the cloud cover. I first went for the Pleiades, and they were beautifully crisp. In Auriga, M36, M37, and M38 were readily picked up, with more stellar detail visible than with the Helios Apollo 15x70, and even the Opticron 16x80, despite some encroaching moonlight. I swung to Orion, and the nebula stood out nicely. Finally, I moved to the moon. It was low in the sky, but I cannot recall ever seeing a better lunar view. Some CA was visible on the limb, especially when near the edge of the field, but nothing disturbing. 

I must say I am very impressed. I did all these observations without monopod, as clouds were rushing in, but still the binoculars handled very well indeed.

33 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

They sound great; as soon as I got my 15x70s I instantly wanted something bigger!...

How did you get on hand held? 

BTW, in your signature, what does the lunar 55/100 mean?

Niall

They handle well, hand held. I just caught another break in the clouds, this time with the monopod, and caught M45 once more, along with M31 and M33, M35-M38, M42, and M81 and M82, and the moon once more. The images were really sharp. These are really keepers

In my signature lunar 55/100 simply means that I have seen 55 of the Lunar 100

I had a final run on the monopod, while the scope was grabbing lunar data. Although they handle just as well as the Helios Apollo 15x70 binoculars (unsurprising, as they have roughly the same weight and magnification) , they really benefit from being on a monopod. I will test it on a P-mount later. I might even be able to have a shoot-out between the Helios Apollo 15x70, Opticron 16x80 Observation, and Helios LightQuest 16x80, should clear skies come this way

40 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I might even be able to have a shoot-out between the Helios Apollo 15x70, Opticron 16x80 Observation, and Helios LightQuest 16x80, should clear skies come this way

Look forward to hearing more.  Glad you're pleased with the LQs so far - they sound very good.

Archived