Narrowband

Moon chart advice please

MartinHiggins

Hi All,

I'm observing the moon with a Cellestron C90 with binoviewers with no star diagonal as this is the most physically comfortable position for this setup when I'm viewing through a skylight window while seated. I believe the view I see is upside down and also reversed left to right?. The moon charts I've seen all seem to be either mirror image for use with a diagonal or correct image for a binocular.

Can anyone recommend a chart for use without a diagonal? I'm looking for something large I can stick on my loft wall.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

Download the "Virtual Moon Atlas".  You can look at the Moon in any orientation and print your own maps to more or less any size you like.  Its freeware and very good!

A big "thumbs up" for the Virtual Moon Atlas from me too. Very useful piece of freeware as is their more recent Virtual Planet Atlas which currently covers Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupiter plus it's 4 brightest moons.

Hi Bizibuilder and John,

Thanks very much for your replies. I shall certainly look at the Virtual Moon Atlas which seems from your recommendations a very useful tool. As I don't have a printer I'm looking for something like Antonin Rukl's moon chart. A nice big solid chart I attached to my wall when I thought I'd be viewing through a diagonal! If there's nothing out there to buy off the shelf like Rukl I'll see what I can get printed off site.

By the way I cut out the star charts from Terence Dickinson's Nightwatch and had them laminated. Having the charts separate and dew proof makes them great for bino viewing.

Cheers

Hi All

Many many thanks for your directions to the Virtual Moon Atlas. I've spent much of this afternoon exploring this fantastic resource.

By the way via these explorations I came to realisation that to get a moon atlas that shows an upside down and E and W reversed for use with my observing set up as described above, I need to do the following: stick my bino viewing atlas on the wall upside down!

Cheers

I also put my cross next to the VMA party :hello:

A big plus point for me is that I've shown it to people with no interest in, and little knowledge of, astronomy - and they've been fascinated by it.

I must admit the planetary version had slipped me by, so thanks on here for the heads up. What's it like on the old system resources :homework: , as my PC is creaking a bit now and might struggle running it with VMA as well?

Regards,

A

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Martin, thanks for posting this.  And thanks to all who recommended the Virtual Moon Atlas and for sharing what you know.  This is great!  I'm new also (obviously) and find that I am learning so much here.  I've been looking at it for a while this morning too.  Can't wait for later this afternoon and early evening to start observing the moon again :-)

Kind regards, Jay

Archived