Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb.jpg.9467c4d39b22ba8239e1b5ad252fcee2.jpg

wetcoaster

SkyWatcher EQ3 experience?

wetcoaster    2

I have an unusual situation in that I use an iEQ45 on a pier at my dark sky cottage for 3 months each summer. However I live in a townhouse complex with limited space for setup and it's under light polluted city skies. I also spend 2 months each winter in California  at a timeshare resort which means I have to cart my gear from my unit to a place on the far side of the resort property. I use and like a Star Adventurer for my home and California. But I need a portable GoTo mount for my next project which is galaxies using an Altair Hypercam 174. That has a small Field Of View and finding galaxies is difficult unless they are near a bright star. So I'd like a Grab 'n' Go GoTo EQ mount.

One option is to just forget about it but I am wondering if the latest S/W EQ3 Synscan GPS is sturdy enough and tracks well enough to handle an FD 300mm f/2.8 Canon lens or Nikkor AI 600/5.6 with the H174 which would make it close to a 5 KG load at worst.

I will Autoguide using a StarShoot guider and Polar Align with a PoleMaster.

I have tried to find User Reviews in Canada and the US but no US dealer carries the EQ3 and the handful of Canadian dealers who do, don't show any reviews. Googling was unproductive as well.

I am hoping someone here has experience with the EQ3 and can offer advice.