Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bias as Dark Clarification Please

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The thing is, for me, that I don't really want 'clever,' I want trasparency and simplicity. That's what I get in AA. I also like the speed. Even on this ancient Pc with 4 gig of RAM, AA rattles through a stack of 30 full frame lights, applying flats, bias, defect map, hot pixel filtration and column repair in less than a minute. Given that we might have 24 hours of data to reduce on a winter morning, this speed really is a godsend. I'm surprised that AstroArt isn't more popular.

Olly

It does sound impressive. 

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The thing is, for me, that I don't really want 'clever,' I want trasparency and simplicity. That's what I get in AA. I also like the speed. Even on this ancient Pc with 4 gig of RAM, AA rattles through a stack of 30 full frame lights, applying flats, bias, defect map, hot pixel filtration and column repair in less than a minute. Given that we might have 24 hours of data to reduce on a winter morning, this speed really is a godsend. I'm surprised that AstroArt isn't more popular.

Olly

It may become more popular when more people start capturing lots of subs with cooled cmos. For my small ASI the files are not an issue (4.6 MB), and PixInsight is fast enough so far, even when processing up to 100 frames. But when I tried stacking lots of DSLR images (23 MB raws), it was really slow. If I ever get a larger cmos sensor, and PI doesn't get faster, I will definitely switch over to AA or similar for stacking. It's reasonably priced too.

Archived