Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any Clave officinardos about

tuckstar

So I have some Clave eyepieces in my possession and doing some research they appear to be the later kinoptic type as they have filter threads. One in particular, the 10mm has side markings. I am lead to belive that this is quite a rare one, possibly one in a hundred. Now I thought that the side marked ones where an earlier design overseen by Clave himself. So I'm confused as to why it has a filter thread.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

20171206_141929

I know I need a new diagonal to match the quality!

20171206_142032

Andy can you take a photo of the 10mm filter thread for me. I have the 12mm with side markings and it doesn't have a filter thread. I think mine are Generation 2 maybe 3. As far as I know the side markings were limited to 100 of each of the 8, 10, and 12mm focal length and were made in 1982 making them Generation 2.

Filter threads were only on the kinoptic variety except a few very rare generation 2/3 ones you can tell by the black housing sticking out of the bottom by only a few millimeters.

20171206_165540

20171206_165323

Hi Mick. I know some of the earlier one were converted to have a filter thread by a gentleman whos name I have forgot and they are really rare and have a groove cut in the barrel and protrude a bit more than these, i think.

This one looks like the barrel is the same as the rest I have so maybe someone in the past has swapped the barrels?? The body is a slightly different colour to the rest as well, more a blue black.

I would say the body is Generation 2 and the 10mm is one of the batch of 100 made and at some stage someone has swapped the barrel over with one of the Kinoptic filter threaded variety.

Hello there,

I slowly learn a bit more and more about the Clavé, and for the generations 2 (after the chrome versions), what I do know is that the barrel is perfectly inter-changeable between the 27mm size and the 31,75mm size. Side marked ones were made in both barrel sizes, 27mm and 31,75mm, maybe a 100 of each, or maybe 50 of each, I have no idea. I did have a side marked one, an 8mm, but I changed its barrel with a regular 10mm FL that was genuinely in 31,75mm and it matches perfectly. I am still looking for a 12mm side marked for my collection by the way ;-) 

clear skies

sylvain

Were the Clave eyepieces multicoated or single coated (like Brandons)?  These seem a bit like Brandons in that they are a simple design, low volume and made from high polish lenses.  I wonder if anyone has ever done a comparison between the two lines.

All 3 scenarios exist actually, depending on what generation / vintage you have : before the 60’s, there was no coating at all. From 1963 if I remember correctly what I had read, they got some simple coatings, until the late 70’s or early 80’s where they finally got some multi coatings. You can see it visually : no coating, or deep blue, or purple/blue/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have found in France a Clavé 75mm that got dropped to the ground by its previous owner, the doublet which is on the telescope side shows some nasty breeches, but 80% of the field of view is untouched. Do you think it is still sellable ? Any ideas of prices ? Based on your feedback, I will place an ad, or not :-)

3718A63C-325A-40DF-B102-17B7CF133FCE.jpeg

4EE563F6-9C39-46C8-9E2B-E83082481E46.jpeg

A9D80C30-5075-40FC-8221-CF17837DC16C.jpeg

987356D0-67FF-4AB2-A961-BFFA990B34FB.jpeg

Personally I wouldn't buy it but as you know they are pretty rare and someone will want it for their collection. I would imagine in excellent condition they are worth circa £400 but I doubt you would get half of that figure for it in this condition.

20 hours ago, disciplus55 said:

Hello, I have found in France a Clavé 75mm that got dropped to the ground by its previous owner, the doublet which is on the telescope side shows some nasty breeches, but 80% of the field of view is untouched. Do you think it is still sellable ? Any ideas of prices ? Based on your feedback, I will place an ad, or not :-)

987356D0-67FF-4AB2-A961-BFFA990B34FB.jpeg

Looking at the last image. It looks to me if there has been some considerable crackiing/ballooning of the glass/ lens element . It therefore does seem to of unfortunately received quite considerable damage. It may be useful to someone as "spare or repair" possibility ?. And if you are selling then the price would be very difficult to judge due to its condition. Personally i would think going for offer's on a "spares or repair" basis, but let any buyers know fully the true and full state of condition. ?

The previous user dropped it from 2.5m high : it was used on the old refractor of Father René Josset, a 230mm gorgeous refractor. This Clavé 75mm dates back from the 50's it seems.

I gave it a try, only on daylight observing since the weather is awful here :)... and I have my own Clavé 75mm that is close to perfect in order to compare... I could only see some degradation of the image in the outer 20%, but tbh, nothing bad in the centered 80%. I shall give it a try at night if the weather clears up.

Anyway, it is heartbreaking to see such an eyepiece damaged. Yet, it is not totally dead, still breathing :-D hahahaha...

Archived