Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carrying cases

@FLO have "unavailable" on most of the carrying bags (Artesky) on their site. 

The Skywatcher aluminium cases ditto there. 

Are there any other recommended makes around?

Perhaps a converted golf bag (useful with a trolley) would be a make-do solution. 

I use a Geoptik case for my EQ3-2 mount along with other parts that was bought from RVO and it is more than adequate for the job, plus came with pick & pluck foam inserts so it is easy to customise to whatever it is going to carry.

It depends whether you want a hard sided case or a fabric one and how much you want to spend, but it is worth shopping around as I found that many of the big brand names (Peli, Geopitik etc) have the same cases just a different sticker on the top.

If you haven't already, it will be worth giving FLO an email about the case you have an eye on and seeing what they say.

I'm not sure, but based on a quick image search, those look exactly like soft-side coolers.  They'd probably be a lot cheaper and work just as well.  I keep my 8x42 binos in a lunch sized soft-side cooler bag so I don't have to hide them out of sight in my car's cabin.  No one smashes and grabs someone's lunch.

Alternatively, investigate larger, padded photo and tripod bags if you want more flexibility.

I store my 127 Mak in an old Tamrac 979 bag I had laying around storing miscellaneous photography gear.  I think I paid $20 used for it about 10 years ago.  It mostly just protects the OTA from bumps and scrapes in the closet.  It can also be shoved under the middle seat of my old van for transport.  The 979 is little more than a very well crafted soft side cooler when you get right down to it.

What exactly are looking to store, where will it be stored, and do you prefer hard or soft side cases?  I go either way depending on what is being stored.  Most of my camera gear is in soft side cases while most of my astro gear is in hard side cases (aside from the 127 Mak and 8x42 binos).

Archived