Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

bendiddley

Canon 1100D or 600D??

Recommended Posts

bendiddley    129

I'm in the market for a modded astro camera. Currently have an unmodded 1000d. I've been looking at the canon 1100d and 600d and wondering if there is much difference between them? If there's not much in it I would probably go for the 1100D as it's cheaper. I know the 600d has a flip out screen, but that is not important for me as I use APT to control the camera from my netbook. I am wondering if the 600D is better with noise than the 1100D? Any thoughts and comments welcome. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendiddley    129
11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-1100D-vs-Canon-EOS-600D

Pixel size on 1100d = 5.3um

Pixel sie 600d = 4.3um

@Adam J would know a lot about these cameras and the scope that you have.

 

Thanks, that's helpful. Something the comparison doesn't cover though is noise. Would like to know of there is much difference between the two with that also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendiddley    129

Great thanks! So read noise at ISO 800 is 4.4 for the 1100D and 3.3 for the 600d, that doesn't seem like much, do you think that will make much difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tooth_dr    930
28 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

Great thanks! So read noise at ISO 800 is 4.4 for the 1100D and 3.3 for the 600d, that doesn't seem like much, do you think that will make much difference?

I'm not sure!  I use a 1000d, and the read noise is higher than both of those.  If you look through the deep sky images section you can see a selection of images taken with mine and other DSLRs, to give you an idea of what the differences are.  I'm sure either will deliver good results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendiddley    129
37 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I'm not sure!  I use a 1000d, and the read noise is higher than both of those.  If you look through the deep sky images section you can see a selection of images taken with mine and other DSLRs, to give you an idea of what the differences are.  I'm sure either will deliver good results.

Thanks, I'm looking for the deep sky images section but can't seem to find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaliska    30

These were my first (and only so far) two images with my astro modded 600D, taken a couple of weeks back. All ungiuded on a AZ EQ6 GT, so the max exposure was between 45sec and 60 sec.

M42 Orion Final.jpg

Bodes Final(2).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tooth_dr    930
14 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

Thanks, I'm looking for the deep sky images section but can't seem to find it.

 

If you have a flick through the titles, it sometimes says DSLR or the model.  I've attached a link to the section I was referring to below :)

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/37-imaging-deep-sky/

 

Also here is one of mine taken with the 1000d, the predecessor to the 1100d, 5 min exposures, with an 80mm scope.

 

M31.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam J    584
3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-1100D-vs-Canon-EOS-600D

Pixel size on 1100d = 5.3um

Pixel sie 600d = 4.3um

@Adam J would know a lot about these cameras and the scope that you have.

 

I have used the 1000D, 450D (same sensor as 1100D) and the 550D (Same sensor as 600D) all with the 130PDS. The 1000D should not be underestimated due to its large pixels, despite the higher read noise and dark current. It actually competes well with the 1100D in terms of signal to noise ratio, problem is its 12-bit. 

In terms of 1100D vs 600D then if you take into account the Higher QE of the 600D, the lower read noise and dark current, it offsets the larger pixels of the 1100D quite well.

You will see very similar performance between the two cameras when imaging RGB, however the place that I have found my 550D to be much better than either my 1000D or the 450D is when using a H-a filter. It simply gives more pleasing results due to the lower dark current in longer exposures and the higher resolution of the 550D means that the H-a is much better in terms of detail within the H-a once you take account of the fact that you are only using the red pixels (which means that the 18mp camera gives 4mp in the 600D but only 3mp in the 1100D). Looking at the bias frames from all three cameras then the 600D is much cleaner. 

My pick would be the 600D due to the signal to noise ratio advantage over the 1100D, but the 1000D (nice big pixels and deep well capacity and cool running temperatures)  is often underestimated vs the 1100D too.

Others may disagree, but I can back that up with the maths if someone want me too....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam J    584
1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

 

If you have a flick through the titles, it sometimes says DSLR or the model.  I've attached a link to the section I was referring to below :)

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/37-imaging-deep-sky/

 

Also here is one of mine taken with the 1000d, the predecessor to the 1100d, 5 min exposures, with an 80mm scope.

 

M31.jpg

That is a great picture and exactly why I rate the 1000D too, look at the star color and core, means you can use longer exposures. The problem with the 1000D is the read noise in shorter exposures though, so it depends on if your guiding etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendiddley    129
3 hours ago, Adam J said:

I have used the 1000D, 450D (same sensor as 1100D) and the 550D (Same sensor as 600D) all with the 130PDS. The 1000D should not be underestimated due to its large pixels, despite the higher read noise and dark current. It actually competes well with the 1100D in terms of signal to noise ratio, problem is its 12-bit. 

In terms of 1100D vs 600D then if you take into account the Higher QE of the 600D, the lower read noise and dark current, it offsets the larger pixels of the 1100D quite well.

You will see very similar performance between the two cameras when imaging RGB, however the place that I have found my 550D to be much better than either my 1000D or the 450D is when using a H-a filter. It simply gives more pleasing results due to the lower dark current in longer exposures and the higher resolution of the 550D means that the H-a is much better in terms of detail within the H-a once you take account of the fact that you are only using the red pixels (which means that the 18mp camera gives 4mp in the 600D but only 3mp in the 1100D). Looking at the bias frames from all three cameras then the 600D is much cleaner. 

My pick would be the 600D due to the signal to noise ratio advantage over the 1100D, but the 1000D (nice big pixels and deep well capacity and cool running temperatures)  is often underestimated vs the 1100D too.

Others may disagree, but I can back that up with the maths if someone want me too....

 

Thanks for that, very informative!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bendiddley    129
3 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have always wondered about the 1000D according to this site noise figures are far better than not only the 600D but also the 6D and the 5D mark 4 and are on par with the 1DX Mk 2...

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

Alan

Bit confused with this, seems to contradict what others are saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alien 13    3,706
1 minute ago, bendiddley said:

Bit confused with this, seems to contradict what others are saying.

Me too, it seems to look fine with every other camera combination I have inputted but the 1000D looks a bit odd...

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
newbie alert    214

I'd go for the 600d as it has a better qe over the 1000d.

A friend had a few probs with his 1000d ..amp glow etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tooth_dr    930

I cant say I’ve had any real issues with my 1000d re amp glow, maybe your friend is getting light leaking in or something else?!

Edited by tooth_dr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam J    584

It does have a bit of amp glow on the 1000D if you look at the dark frames but its not just noise its signal to noise and those large pixels do help lots.

In the end it boils down to, get the 600D and be done with it mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam J    584
2 hours ago, bendiddley said:

Bit confused with this, seems to contradict what others are saying.

Ok...yeah no, they are making the mistake of not accounting for the fact that the 1000D is a 12bit A/D in calculating its read noise it just wont work on the same scale as the 14 bit cameras. There is no question on this if you have seen a 550D bias frame next to a 1000D bias frame, the 550D is vastly better on by that measure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×