Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Recommended Posts

Its about time!! i made the 3hr round trip to my scope shop (after a tough days work) but all well worth it, i could not wait till the weekend when i'd have plenty of time to go early and avoid rush hour traffic, be well rested and awake, that makes no sense at all lol.

I was far too giddy to wait for the weekend, anyway she's here and she's beautiful!, i will no doubt be tossing that horrible 28mm eyepiece it comes with and replacing the finder scope with a spare telrad i have.

Now i just need a clear night and a couple of hours for equilibrium and we'll see what this little gem can do! it sure feels and looks like a quality piece of gear i must say, that beautiful corrector just screams "i mean business".

Mak150 2.JPG

Mak150.JPG

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scope looks great on the Vixen GP mount as well ! :icon_biggrin:

Hope you get some wonderful high resolution views through it :smiley:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful! Welcome to the "Mak Pak"! I have the analogous little brother, the Orion StarMax 127. I absolutely love it! My number one grab'n'go! I took it with me it on my journey to the path of totality for the Great American Eclipse:

 

21034549_10209482559608934_8672091496738583188_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any pointers on collimation checking? this is my first mak, i can collimate my 12' dob easily enough but it does require it more often after transport, i understand these smaller maks rarely require any collimation, i always collimate via star test 

anything in particular i should look for in a mak?

Edited by Sunshine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Any pointers on collimation checking? this is my first mak, i can collimate my 12' dob easily enough but it does require it more often after transport, i understand these smaller maks rarely require any collimation, i always collimate via star test 

anything in particular i should look for in a mak?

The beauty of the Mak is that you don't have to collimate it...ever. It does require some cool down time in cold conditions; I'd give it at least 30 minutes or so to adjust. A dew shield is also a must if you plan on a long night of observing on winter or humid nights. You'll love "reach out and touch" views of the moon, the planets, multiple star systems (Albireo is GORGEOUS in a Mak) and the brighter DSOs like M42, M57, M13, just to name a few. Tack sharp stars with no CA. The long focal length defeats coma. The compactness begs for road trips. Need I say more?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maksutovs are noted for holding collimation through having an artillery-round explode next to it! All I've done is put it through a star-test. All was fine as long as the upper-atmosphere was being civil. What aperture is yours, Sunshine? I've done some work on mine (150mm) by way of dropping in a GSO dual-focus 10:1 Crayford. Scalpel-sharp views!

Here's my beast -

 

5a276d35aea33_150mmMakwithBaaderZoomGSO2inch2Xd.JPG.a2d222e62338ca5e513e3a69eb7992aa.JPG

 

IMG_1217.JPG.58785070cc3aa91657ad7fa5f16d2625.JPG

 

I can't wait for your 'First Light!'

Dave - to your South.

Edited by Dave In Vermont
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Maksutovs are noted for holding collimation through having an artillery-round explode next to it! All I've done is put it through a star-test. All was fine as long as the upper-atmosphere was being civil. What aperture is yours, Sunshine? I've done some work on mine (150mm) by way of dropping in a GSO dual-focus 10:1 Crayford. Scalpel-sharp views!

Here's my beast -

 

5a276d35aea33_150mmMakwithBaaderZoomGSO2inch2Xd.JPG.a2d222e62338ca5e513e3a69eb7992aa.JPG

 

IMG_1217.JPG.58785070cc3aa91657ad7fa5f16d2625.JPG

 

I can't wait for your 'First Light!'

Dave - to your South.

That is a beautiful beast! Mak lust in full force! :p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips everyone! 

Reggie: you're charging me up here and its going to be cloudy for several days, i'm going to implode!

Little Green Man: my mak is a 150mm, and i walked out of the store with your exact same celestron dew shield, i will definitely be doing a first light post once the clouds clear up!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like we've got the same weather. Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Burlington, Vermont here. It's currently 54°F. here, that's about 12°C.

Dave - not really a Little Green Man. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Dave, my name is Eddie, i live in a small town just 45 min outside of Toronto, the weather here is now is windy as all hell, cloudy and according to my local weather app exactly zero degrees C but feels like minus 6 with the wind sheer, sound great eh!!

Ask me what the weather is like in Feb when it gets to about minus 25 but feels like minus 40 with wind! and yet we roast in temps of 40C during worst summer days, land of extremes in this part of canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulation on your new scope. I have one too and as a scope it is great, very good optically but sadly well let down by the quality of the 2 inch fittings at the rear, I threw more than the eyepiece away.

Alan

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie - we had the high winds (50+ mph gusts) earlier. Now the 'big freeze' is descending here shortly. This sudden reversal can cause a rare phenomena that we had here earlier this season: "Thunder-Snow"- which is heavy thunder with high-arcing lightning bolts. Not too conducive to stargazing. :p

Alan - I heard the visual-back of the Mak's had problems. Unless it's one I haven't heard of, Synta fixed the ill-fitting issue. As well as the focuser having way bad mirror-flop. This was fixed after many complaints - led by Skywatcher. I hear the other companies (Orion, Celestron) that sell these Maks fell in line and had Synta follow suit for theirs as well. So 'Happy-Dance!' all around for Mak users!

Have Fun -

Dave

p.s. - If you learn to enjoy meteorology as well as astronomy, you'll never be bored. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Eddie - we had the high winds (50+ mph gusts) earlier. Now the 'big freeze' is descending here shortly. This sudden reversal can cause a rare phenomena that we had here earlier this season: "Thunder-Snow"- which is heavy thunder with high-arcing lightning bolts. Not too conducive to stargazing. :p

Alan - I heard the visual-back of the Mak's had problems. Unless it's one I haven't heard of, Synta fixed the ill-fitting issue. As well as the focuser having way bad mirror-flop. This was fixed after many complaints - led by Skywatcher. I hear the other companies (Orion, Celestron) that sell these Maks fell in line and had Synta follow suit for theirs as well. So 'Happy-Dance!' all around for Mak users!

Have Fun -

Dave

p.s. - If you learn to enjoy meteorology as well as astronomy, you'll never be bored. :thumbsup:

Dave, it was a few years back and had the old type Mak thread. It annoyed me that I had to spend to put right a basic extra few quid spend on their behalf, I was amazed what a thin piece of metal with two threads on could set one back, 40 quid I think, I put the 2 inch back from Meade SC onto it as I have a Moonlite on that, don't use it much in truth but planets are not in the evening sky at the moment.

I always wish for an extra payment why SW and other bigger producers don't do a de-luxe pack with better finder, visual back maybe even eyepieces. I am sure there are a few other things that could go in the box. The other option could be scope and only the scope, I already had a finder and many eyepieces.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your new Mak! They really are great scopes for high power views, and very robust even when taken around in a vehicle quite often. I have to say, the quality of the 2" back on my 180 Mak is very good, the diagonal is good enough, just one of the two included EPs not up to much. However, Maks are wonderfully eyepiece tolerant, and you will get good views with even cheap EPs - even cheap zooms.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on the new scope!  These maks are excellent - I have the smaller 127, and it's a little beauty.  As Reggie mentioned, your views of the moon and planets in particular will be excellent, and on those rare but wonderful nights of good seeing, bump up the magnification and marvel at the view!

Enjoy, and we look forward to hearing how you get on!

Derek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Dave, it was a few years back and had the old type Mak thread. It annoyed me that I had to spend to put right a basic extra few quid spend on their behalf, I was amazed what a thin piece of metal with two threads on could set one back, 40 quid I think, I put the 2 inch back from Meade SC onto it as I have a Moonlite on that, don't use it much in truth but planets are not in the evening sky at the moment.

I always wish for an extra payment why SW and other bigger producers don't do a de-luxe pack with better finder, visual back maybe even eyepieces. I am sure there are a few other things that could go in the box. The other option could be scope and only the scope, I already had a finder and many eyepieces.

Alan

Yes, I know the adapters/fix you likely mean. Now it's a standard (and tight-fitting) thread on the VB. Skywatcher did something rarely heard of: Listening, and responding, to their customer complaints & suggestions. That was at least 50% of why I went for the Skywatcher over the Orion, Celestron - even though I like that orange-tube! :p As for the 8 X 50mm straight-thru finder, anyone want to buy one....? GSO RACI 8 X 50mm almost instantly - for me.

36 minutes ago, faulksy said:

congrats @Sunshine i used to have the 150, but the older pro series, let it cool and put a good dew heater on :headbang:

Irony at it's best: 'Let it cool then heat it!' :eek::D

Excelsior!

D.

Edited by Dave In Vermont
sp.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interested to read your findings, a 150 seems the ideal, not too long fl, compact & tough. 

Edited by 25585

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alan potts said:

Congratulation on your new scope. I have one too and as a scope it is great, very good optically but sadly well let down by the quality of the 2 inch fittings at the rear, I threw more than the eyepiece away.

Alan

Alan what did you replace & with what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Alan what did you replace & with what?

I replaced the thread at the rear of the scope that the visual back screws to. It was an odd size and bought a converter to an SC thread was 40 quid, I binned the visual back that it came with and used the one from my Meade SC, it is solid now. I also gave the eyepiece away to my Delear friend to gift to someone with a scope purchase. Sadly it doesn't get much use these days but all the planets are away on holiday.

Alan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alan potts said:

I replaced the thread at the rear of the scope that the visual back screws to. It was an odd size and bought a converter to an SC thread was 40 quid, I binned the visual back that it came with and used the one from my Meade SC, it is solid now. I also gave the eyepiece away to my Delear friend to gift to someone with a scope purchase. Sadly it doesn't get much use these days but all the planets are away on holiday.

Alan

Shame that good optics package spoiled with cheap quality. The reports of such decided me on getting a bigger refractor instead of the 150. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Shame that good optics package spoiled with cheap quality. The reports of such decided me on getting a bigger refractor instead of the 150. 

 

Yes i put a review together on it and basically took that tack, very good optics and spoilt with the poor bolt ons. To a lesser degree the same is true of the M/N 190mm, though this is about my favourite scope, almost APO views and under 1000 pounds for 190mm, flat field too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Yes i put a review together on it and basically took that tack, very good optics and spoilt with the poor bolt ons. To a lesser degree the same is true of the M/N 190mm, though this is about my favourite scope, almost APO views and under 1000 pounds for 190mm, flat field too.

What improvements did you make to your 190 Alan?

When I become more used to double stars, I may move to the 190. It did tempt me, but too high lowest magnification, narrow FoV & restricted 2 inch ep use + no guided mount overall added up to limited use. My C8 will do for now. 

Celestron & Meade have a good independent as well as own accessory catalogue for their SCTs. SW would be appreciated if they did the same. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I read a title like the one in this thread, for some reason my mind goes here:

 

Hope you get some clear skies soon, maybe this is music to view by!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 25585 said:

What improvements did you make to your 190 Alan?

When I become more used to double stars, I may move to the 190. It did tempt me, but too high lowest magnification, narrow FoV & restricted 2 inch ep use + no guided mount overall added up to limited use. My C8 will do for now. 

Celestron & Meade have a good independent as well as own accessory catalogue for their SCTs. SW would be appreciated if they did the same. 

 

I didn't make any, only dumped the eyepieces. Good scope, I like it. Suberb for imaging!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Asghar
      Hi all,
       
      I'm pretty new to astronomy and need help deciding if I should buy the following telescope or not, mainly if there is anything visibly missing by looking at the photos?
       
      Thanks in advance!



    • By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection
       
      "Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

      In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.
       
      Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz
       
      Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.
    • By LILYDENISE
      Hello everyone, happy Tuesday.
      First time stargazer here, I'm hoping I can get some awesome feedback from you guys. 
      my fiancé and I are planning on taking a trip to Great Basin National Park from October 25th-30th, we're trying to catch the new moon, we want to do some deep sky viewing but we're having such a hard time on knowing which kind of telescope to purchase. we do have a few must- haves on our purchase, but I wanted to see what you guys recommend and what your experiences have been.
      we need a telescope that is portable
      good for deep sky viewing
      reflector vs. refractor
      and almost, but not necessarily, easy to use (we have time to learn the ins and outs of it)
      I apologize if its a lot, but trying to understand the jargon, as of now, is giving me a hard time
      Cant wait for any responses!!
      p.s. anyone ever been to Great Basin? what should we expect on our trip? its our first time going and first time doing any serious camping!!!
      THANKS A BUNCH!!!
      -LILY 
    • By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.