Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb.jpg.9467c4d39b22ba8239e1b5ad252fcee2.jpg

ollypenrice    17,607
19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Being at a truly dark site can be disconcerting trying to find recognizeable constellations because so many more naked eye stars are visible that they can obscure familiar asterisms.

Very true. 

Olly

Charic    2,094

Louis D.....thats a problem I have away from home, but it's a nice problem to have.

Edited by Charic
  • Haha 1

25585    194
On 6 December 2017 at 15:07, Louis D said:

My first Telrad died when the AA alkalines corroded in it.  Despite replacing the batteries and holder, I could never get it to light up again.  On the flip side, the original CR2025 button cell in my 18 year old Rigel QuikFinder is still going strong and hasn't corroded at all.  It's not annoying if you never need to replace it because it never dies or corrodes.

Ditto here. On my second Telrad I use rechargeable batteries, or lithium. 

What I like about aligning the Telrad are it's collimation screws, like a miniature mirror cell almost. 

For those who don't want to stick a Telrad base to their OTAs, it's not difficult to fix a base to a shoe that can then be slotted into a standard holder.