SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Berlebach Report 112

Ags

4 minutes ago, Ags said:

It would be nice if I can get the "superfinder" working!

Well, you can get reasonably close, but the higher the magnification on the other scope, the smaller the FOV will be and the higher the likelihood that whatever is centered in the super-finder won't be in view at all - without any hint of which way to nudge. With practice and patience you can sort of learn what the offset is and make do, but probably best to add a traditional, tweakable finder to the high-mag scope to save yourself a good deal of faff. So it would at best be a two stage operation, super-finder for widefield surfing, then regular finder for target centering, then to the high-mag scope. Can still be lots of fun.

Myself, I am trying to get the TV-60 properly aligned opposite whatever scope on the other side of either the Castor or the AZ8. I have ordered this:

I have hopes that it will do well. It seems to be designed for lighter scopes (primarily guide scopes) so while it should be good for the TV-60, it may not work as well for larger scopes.

The only other option I have seen is this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p9072_Geoptik-GK-5-90--dual-speed-Tangential-Head--max--load-7-kg.html

This puts the super-finder at a right angle, but looks good for tweaking alignment.

Both are not really economical - you can get a nice finder scope for that kind of wedge.

:rolleyes2:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found in the past that a widefield scope (frac) and higher power (SCT) can be made to work reasonably successfully on an Ercole (or other dual clamp manual alt az mount)

It is possible to get them pretty much bang on in alt, but azimuth is more difficult. I have used a Skywatcher guidescope mount for a while, which gives the necessary adjustment, but wasn't that stable being used in an orientation it probably wasn't designed for.

Once you know how much the scopes are out though, it is very easy to get on target with say an RDF on the widefield scope, centre the object in the eyepiece, then pan left or right by the amount you have noted for the offset and the object will be in the high power field of view. Unless the object is very faint or hard to find, I did find that if my RDF was accurately aligned, I would go straight to the high power view anyway.

I've had a lot of fun with the Tak side by side with a C8 star hopping under a dark sky.

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

Well, it has arrived, I think it will work:

DSC_1222.thumb.JPG.81b1cb30f8b9b97ec374354d648c8ee6.JPG

Just tried it out, works perfectly. TV-60 is a widefield super-finder. :happy11: Can fine-tune the alignment mid-session (will only be required after scope change or mount switch), it's great.

I repeat: not the economic option. VERY nice ('real', adjustable) finder scopes available for this kind of money.

Back on the Report 212, it looks like it gets the Televue seal of approval as they seem to use it for their rather pricey mount offering (the tripod part is made by Berlebach and the weight and height indicate something similar to a Report 212):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9170_Tele-Vue-Panoramic-Advanced-Mount---with-ash-wood-tripod.html

You won't be surprised to hear I've changed my mind again:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=223&sprache=english

The price is competitive with Reports. No questions of the stability of this one (60kg load). Luggage length is good (63cm). Vibration damping is da boss (Extremely Good). The mounting plate is wide enough at 16cm diameter, but that might be wide enough to cause scope collisions. To resolve that while being on a budget, I can get:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10005_Skywatcher-Tripod-Extension-Tube-for-AZ5-mount.html

Only concern is the weight - 5kg which is low for a Uni of course.

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

The price is competitive with Reports. No questions of the stability of this one (60kg load). Luggage length is good (63cm). Vibration damping is da boss (Extremely Good). The mounting plate is wide enough at 16cm diameter, but that might be wide enough to cause scope collisions. To resolve that while being on a budget, I can get:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10005_Skywatcher-Tripod-Extension-Tube-for-AZ5-mount.html

I will vouch for the UNI's legs...very, very sturdy! Given that the height is sufficient for your needs, you will really enjoy using this. :happy11:

1 hour ago, Ags said:

It seems a very nice solution to me! 

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

I suspect the ADM will work better than the Skywatcher I tried.

In this orientation, altitude has the most adjustment and is easiest / smoothest to do. Azimuth adjustment is the large silver-grey thumb-wheel at the back - as delivered, it got some benefit from a dash of WD-40, now working to full satisfaction.

39 minutes ago, iPeace said:

In this orientation, altitude has the most adjustment and is easiest / smoothest to do. Azimuth adjustment is the large silver-grey thumb-wheel at the back - as delivered, it got some benefit from a dash of WD-40, now working to full satisfaction.

Biggest issue for me was how well it held alignment

9 hours ago, Ags said:

it's a no-brainer.

It may not be for everyone (outside the realm of astrophotography). :happy11: Having the exact same bit of sky centered in the view through two scopes (both of which are designed as primary observing instruments as opposed to specific finders) at once is a lot of fun, but it doesn't necessarily make finding things easier. Only practice does that. :icon_biggrin:

Having done without exact alignment / collimation of both Giro-type-mounted scopes for a while, I have figured out that it's worth the investment - for me and my style of observing. Many (most?) others will decide otherwise.

All this just for observing?

DSC_1236.thumb.JPG.7971079f33127e990d225813a32c9263.JPG

In short: if you need a finder, get one. :p If, on the other hand, you really enjoy widefield observing and insist on using two of your favorite scopes - with differing magnification, filters, or for whatever reason - at once, well, this is pretty cool. :glasses9:

Ah - I was referring to the UNI 4 vs a Report 212 being a no-brainer. Regarding the scope alignment issue, as far as I am concerned simply knowing the offset should be fine for me. And I am not 100% sure that giro-style is better for me or if I should be sticking with slo-mo.

But I think the UNI 4 is small enough for travel and strong enough for anything I realistically want to do :happy11:

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Ah - I was referring to the UNI 4 vs a Report 212 being a no-brainer. Regarding the scope alignment issue, as far as I am concerned simply knowing the offset should be fine for me. And I am not 100% sure that giro-style is better for me or if I should be sticking with slo-mo.

But I think the UNI 4 is small enough for travel and strong enough for anything I realistically want to do :happy11:

I think that you will be happier with the UNI 4 than the Report 212 using your scopes (150 newton but also the skymax 102) in terms of stability. Sure, 5kg is heavier than 3kg, but both are certainly within your physical capacity. Add a bit of wind or the vibrations when you adjust the focuser, your telescopes will remain rock solid. If you get a ~100mm refractor one day, the UNI 4 will still be a very fine tripod, assuming you observe with an extension pillar and an adjustable chair. 

OK, so here is the plan. I am going to get the non-astro UNI 4. It differs from the astro version in that it has smaller non-spike feet and no accessory tray. With a paved garden, I have no use for spikes (nor would my wooden floors appreciate them), and I can get the accessory tray or spreader later in the year. I will get the AZ5 extension tube for a bit more height / a little less leg extension.

4 hours ago, Ags said:

OK, so here is the plan. I am going to get the non-astro UNI 4. It differs from the astro version in that it has smaller non-spike feet and no accessory tray. With a paved garden, I have no use for spikes (nor would my wooden floors appreciate them), and I can get the accessory tray or spreader later in the year. I will get the AZ5 extension tube for a bit more height / a little less leg extension.

The advantage of not having the tray is the reduced weight. It is quite heavy and bulky: 1.1kg. 

I would add the spread stopper https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=170&sprache=english or leg spread stop (which can be selected on the tripod page as a custom item) when you place the order. The former will fix the leg spread angle to ~23 deg, whereas the latter gives you 4 angles. If you get the spread stopper, you will also need to order the UNI leg brackets. Berlebach can install both for you for free. Marion at Berlebach is a nice chap and will help you on this if you need. 

My UNI 19 was ordered with the spread stopper. Without any stopping mechanism, there is a chance that a leg will spread too much. As a consequence, your telescope will be at risk. 

• 2 months later...

I have finally bitten the bullet and placed an order for a Report 112 Astro. Just got to add the AZ5 and maybe the AZ5 pillar and I'm ready for Mars in the Canary Islands!

Archived