SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fitting Keiser 85mm Lens caps to APM 16x70 ED

alanjgreen

I have had my APM 16x70 ED binos for a week now and they are proving to be very good. However, the single weakest point are the supplied lens caps, they just love to fall off (its impossible to remove the binos from the case and have the lens caps in place when the binos come out of the bag! :( ).

Having measured the diameter of the lens as 84mm, I have purchased two Keiser 85mm lens caps (as the closest larger size that I could find).

I have stuck a layer of trimmed "Gorilla Tape" to the inside edge of the caps and now they are a nice fit, needing significantly more pull to get them off than the originals :)

[Pic shows Keiser 85mm caps with added Gorilla tape around the rim]

k1.jpg.2a342ffcc3c812c114c0d0b6e00af96a.jpg

However, it is still impossible to get the binos out of their supplied bag with both lens caps in place :( (the bag is too tight!)

So, I have fitted some sticky Velcro squares to the binos (two on each lens) and I am using the "other" part of the Velcro as a strap to hold the lens caps on - I can now remove them from the bag and have the Lens Caps in place :)

[Pic shows the Keiser caps on the APM binos + the sticky velcro pads]

k2.jpg.a61aa9ca6e99926e8dc97f5843fee46c.jpg

[Pic shows the velcro securing strips in place]

k3.jpg.dae6487e9fed9724d85946351fe413e6.jpg

Finally, I have at last received my Amazon Basics tripod "with pistol grip" so I have removed the pistol grip and added it to the end of my Manfrotto Monopod and I am at last good to go...

Alan

I had assumed that the APMs would have the same caps as the Lunt Magnesium. These do stay on. In fact, they fit so tightly that I am grateful for the presence of the tabs that assist in getting them off. Makes me wonder why they changed something that worked!

IMG_20171206_101525.thumb.jpg.876f5dae87f04f10fa2096c9b79237a0.jpg

Archived