SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZGTi with Skywire - it works!

I've been trying to find a simple and reliable way of using SkySafari on an iPhone with my AZGTi mount (which I really enjoy using).

The only 'official' way, using the built in wifi, is to use two devices, one running the Synscan app and the other running SkySafari. This is because iOS won't allow apps to run in the background (I think!)

Initially I bought a Synscan handset, as I found the database in the app limited, and also found that using a physical controller was easier i.e. being able to feel the buttons in the dark is easier than a featureless smartphone screen.

I then thought that I may be able to use Skyfi or Skywire to connect via the handset. Funds being tight, Skywire was the only possibility and I was grateful to find one via the forum (thank you Nigel :) ). It arrived today, and a quick test with the mount shows that it connects fine and issuing goto commands via SkySafari moves the mount.

I have yet to try it under real, aligned conditions but have no reason to doubt that it will work fine. Very happy to have found a solution to this, it will enhance my observing sessions a lot I reckon.

Will report back after a proper test.

2 minutes ago, disciplus55 said:

Any photo of the connections ? I thought Skywire was using the old RS 232, no ?

Will post a picture but no, with adaptor cable it plugs straight into the handset.

9 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Sounds good Stu, I will give mine a go with skyfi sometime.

I now have every confidence that SkyFi should work well too :)

I do like the ability to align on every target you look at which refines the accuracy in the area of sky you are looking at.

Have finally got this out under the stars, and everything works as expected. Really great to have this functionality with the AZGTi, helps a lot under my skies. I enjoy a star hop as much as the next chap or chappess, but when you just want to observe a decent number of objects fairly quickly without grubbing around the LP for stars, this really works.

Believe it or not, I've just had my first ever look at Beta Monocerotis, and very nice it was too, despite being down amongst the heating flumes!

Up high, the seeing actually looks very nice and I've had some fun just hopping around different clusters. Hopefully I will get back out again in a while and make the most of this clear sky!

Archived