Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher Synscan WiFi Adapter

Dave Smith

Hi guys have just got a Skywatcher WIFI module for my EQ5 mount. It all works OK using a smart phone but I want to control the mount using Stellirum. I have been able to control the mount using Stellirum on a laptop but would like to monitor the laptop inside on a Tablet using the same WIFI link.

I have done this in the past using the home WIFI router and Microsoft remote desktop control.

The trouble is when the Skywatcher module is connected vie the WIFI to the Mount it is not connected to the Tablet WIFI for monitoring.

Does anyone know if the Skywatcher WIFI module can be used as a Hub and how to set it up or is it not possible?

Many thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...
On 04/12/2017 at 16:43, Dave Smith said:

I have recently purchased this in the hope that I could control my SkyWatcher 250P GOTO dob with SkySafariPro on my Samsung Phone. The provided handset does not seem to have a straightforward means of correcting an imprecise alignment without going through the whole alignment process again. In SkySafari the align button does this with just one press.

The unit itself is quite small (see pic) and plugs in place of the handset.

The app "Synscan" is needed from Android Play Store or the Apple App Store for any ALT-AZ mount. "SynscanPro" is needed for RA-DEC mounts.

As long as the phone or device is set to connect via WiFi and the Synscan signal is chosen that is very straight forward and will connect readily.

For me the "fun" started when attempting to connect via SkySafari. I did watch a couple of YouTube videos but the instructions given did not work for me. There are no instructions provided with the adapter but there are some within the Synscan App. (although not very obvious).

The Synscan app needs to be active and connected to the mount and before trying SkySafari needs to have carried out an alignment. (This isn't necessary for testing purposes)

The settings for SkySafari need to be as follows.

Firstly choose the Scope type i.e SkyWatcher SynScan
then the mount type - in my case Alt-Az GoTo

Select Connect via WiFi
IP address 127.0.0.1
Port Number  11882

SkySafari should then be able to connect to the mount via the Synscan App.

In my case it did not. Much hair tearing (not that I have much!) and a few hours later it did connect and then later did not. Over the next 24 hours I managed to get connection twice but many times no connection.

To cut a long story short it turned out that I had my phone using a battery saving mode and the two occasions it had worked was when the phone was connected to the charger. So out of battery saving mode and it works smoothly every time.

Advantages of using the WiFi adapter.

1. Obviously no lead. It works at distances greater than you would need - I went into the next room and could still control the scope.

2. Much easier to read than the one line at a time on the handset. Particularly useful when choosing alignment stars - you can see a long list straight away.

3. The buttons on the Synscan App have more directions to choose (see pic)

4. Within the Synscan App there is a cool feature where the scope will goto the direction you are pointing the phone (or other controlling device) and you can then have all objects nearby listed for potential goto.

5. The Synscan App does also work on my iPad but have not yet managed to get SkySafari to connect yet. (I haven't tried very hard at this stage)

6. The sync facility in SkySafari is great e.g. on an open evening a child grabs the eyepiece and moves the scope off target, one button push and it will return.

7. The obvious advantage of using a star chart to choose an object. e.g. for finding things like the double cluster or double-double when you cannot remember the ngc or ic number.

WARNING - Since getting the adapter to work on my phone I have not had the opportunity to test it under the stars. Should I find it does not perform as expected I will report back.

At this stage I am delighted with my purchase.

Dave

SW-WIFIadapter.jpg

Screenshot_20171204-114415.jpg

I've ordered mine, should get it by Tuesday, wishing to use sky safari too ☺

On 11/09/2018 at 23:06, MBJ said:

I know it wouldnt,im merely stating what i was told by a very well known astro shop that it plugs into the bottom of the handset and this seems to be backed up by the presence of 2 cables in the adaptor box to plug into the handset or direct into the mount.

I'm pretty sure that one of the short cables supplied (with the smaller plug) is for an Alt AZ mount whereas the other is for an EQ mount. 

I need the cable with the small plug for the AZ Goto mount and the other cable for the EQ5.

Neither of the supplied cables plugs into the handset, both plug directly into the relevant mount. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wako said:

I know I must be Dumb but How do I Connect the adapter to the Laptop I don't want to blow it up

19 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I'm pretty sure that one of the short cables supplied (with the smaller plug) is for an Alt AZ mount whereas the other is for an EQ mount. 

I need the cable with the small plug for the AZ Goto mount and the other cable for the EQ5.

Neither of the supplied cables plugs into the handset, both plug directly into the relevant mount. 

Thank's for that this app doesn't seem to be as simple as it sounds I have not got a lot of hear and it is getting thinner by the all the time my phone says Emulator and the phone says it is working but the mount doesn't move in Network  or Serial the phone wont Connect I am doing something wrong.

Thank's Malcolm.

7 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Try to disable the cellular data. ( I dont know the exact term but before connecting via wi-fi to the mount disable the internet data from you service provider)

Thank's I have done that I think it should be Station mode but I cant find it

23 hours ago, Wako said:

I know I must be Dumb but How do I Connect the adapter to the Laptop I don't want to blow it up

You don't connect the WiFi adaptor directly to your Laptop, but you can connect your Laptop to the SynScan WiFi wireless network when the WiFi adaptor is connected to the mount and powered on.  You will however need to install the Synscan App on your laptop, but I think this is only available for Windows PCs.

2 hours ago, Wako said:

Thank's I have done that I think it should be Station mode but I cant find it

I'm not sure why mobile data needs to be turned off, but I need to disable mobile data with my phone too, mine won't work properly with mobile data turned on in the phone.

2 hours ago, Wako said:

Thank's the AZ GoTo mount

So to confirm the WiFi dongle is plugged directly into the AZ Goto Mount using the short cable with the smaller plug.

Once the WiFi dongle is connected and the AZ GoTo mount and the mount is powered up, tell your mobile phone to connect to the WiFi network with a similar name to "SynScan_WiFi_####" but do this before you start the SynScan App on the phone.

When connected to the SynScan WiFi network on your phone start the Synscan App on the phone and click "Connect"

This should find your mount, click on your mount to connect to it.

Now you should be able to select the "Align" command and perform the alignment of the mount.

Hope this helps,

Ade

• Like 1

Hi Ade do you connect the App on ( Network )   ( Emulate )  or  ( Serial ) it will only Connect to the App in Emulate but that will not move the mount I am now going to Delete the App and reinstalling it again but i think I am clutching at straws . 

Thank's Ade  and also for your other bet of info.

On 17/03/2019 at 22:03, DavidJM said:

I've ordered mine, should get it by Tuesday, wishing to use sky safari too ☺

So my wifi adapter arrived on time and the skies were clear Wednesday evening, connected adapter to my syncscan mount with the supplied cable, switched on my power tank, in my iphone stettings, selected the synscan wifi, opened synscan app, clicked connect and up and running. Used bright star allignment, selected archturus as first star, used app to slew to star, easily adjusted slew speed on app to finely tune in eyepiece. Selected Procyon as star two, scope slewed itself and I used app to finely tune......that's it......used app to pick what I wished to view, so simple

Now I need another clear night sky to sort sky safari

Well done I think mine is a dud I have even tried Sky Watcher absolutely useless they sell these things and there support is rubbish and that is being mannerly I could say what I rely think of them. you get things and they don't even answer I will have to go to Harrison were I bought it

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info after all this Trouble I asked Harrison's to test it they were very good about it. They Tested it and after all this mucking about it turned out that it was a dud. And they are sending me a new one Excellent news I have bought a few things of them in the past and the first time that an item went wrong they came up Trumps so thank you all at Harrison's it has always been good to do business with you. It is out of stock at the moment but I can wait  so thank you again and all the members thank you 

• 9 months later...