Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Synscan WiFi Adapter

Dave Smith

I am currently using the Skyfi wifi adapter to link my AzEQ6gti to Sky Safari and it works fine. Sky Safari doesn’t have alignment routines so I align the mount first using the handset.

Having seen the availability of the Synscan  app I was wondering if I could use that to align the mount using the Skyfi unit as the WiFi source. I actually suspect not as I would assume that the Synscan app might only work with the Skywatcher WiFi unit.

thanks for the comments chaps, I hope this makes my request a bit clearer ! :icon_biggrin:

The app is free so I suppose I could just try it! 

Edited by kerrylewis

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

True enough. You can at least turn the brightness right down to save a little battery?

That's a good suggestion to turn the screen brightness down...will hopefully save a bit of battery

Edited by festoon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I am currently using the Skyfi wifi adapter to link my AzEQ6gti to Sky Safari and it works fine. Sky Safari doesn’t have alignment routines so I align the mount first using the handset.

Having seen the availability of the Synscan  app I was wondering if I could use that to align the mount using the Skyfi unit as the WiFi source. I actually suspect not as I would assume that the Synscan app might only work with the Skywatcher WiFi unit.

thanks for the comments chaps, I hope this makes my request a bit clearer ! :icon_biggrin:

The app is free so I suppose I could just try it! 

Whenever I’m using skyfi, I always align it via the mount handset first and the connect to skyfi to control sky safari. This is also the case with the az gti hence the need to get the handset to do the initial alignment and enable the mount to be controlled via skyfi.

But I see there is an align button in SkySafari so I might have a go using this next time.

25 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I am currently using the Skyfi wifi adapter to link my AzEQ6gti to Sky Safari and it works fine. Sky Safari doesn’t have alignment rouutines so I align the mount first using the handset.

"I actually suspect not as I would assume that the Synscan app might only work with the Skywatcher WiFi unit." - no it works with any device that connects using either COM device (Windows version of Synscan app) or a device that uses UDP port 11880 AND it talks to the source port that Synscan app sent the message from. e.g. Synscan says hello to port 11880 on a device IP address of 192.168.2.3,via UDP, on outgoing port 1000 - device replies "Hi nice to meet you" from any port number BUT with a destination of port 1000. The trick being you have to set the device in the Synscan app and not use "Find Devices" . I have this running using a ESP8266 device.  Works on Android and Windows even with ASCOM dont know if it works on Apple.

Note try tapping the blank line 8 times between "Wifi setting" and "Help" under "settings ",then scroll up and down and it will show extra line "connect settings" which will allow you to put in a "fixed ip address" and switch off "find devices". -Works on Android not needed on Windows version no idea if that exists on Apple. But whatever device (thats the mount WiFi Adapter or Equiv) you use it must do the above "hand shaking" with UDP.  Unsupported feature !!!!!!!

Edited by stash_old

27 minutes ago, GavStar said:

But I see there is an align button in SkySafari so I might have a go using this next time.

Hello Gavin. The align button doesn’t initiate  an alignment routine unfortunately. It aligns during observing to a single object. So, if you goto an object using Sky Safari and the object is not central in the view, you can centre it and then press align in Sky Safari which will then centre it too. I think it makes goto more accurate then but I suspect only in a limited area. 

Edited by kerrylewis
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Hello Gavin. The align button doesn’t initiate  an alignment routine unfortunately. It aligns during observing to a single object. So, if you goto an object using Sky Safari and the object is not central in the view, you can centre it and then press align in Sky Safari which will then centre it too. I think it makes goto more accurate then but I suspect only in a limited area. 

Hi Kerry,

I've been wondering about this...the skysafari manual says

--------

Note: for encoder-based "Push-To" systems, like the Tangent Instruments BBox, Celestron Astro-Master, JMI NGC-MAX, and Orion Intelliscope, SkySafari now lets you perform a 2-star alignment. This eliminates the need to level your telescope mount base. Simply set up your telescope, point it at the first alignment star, select that star in SkySafari, and tap "Align". Repeat the process with a second alignment star, choosing "Align" rather than "Restart Alignment" when asked. Your encoders should now be aligned to the sky. You can continue to align on additional second stars; but SkySafari only uses the two you most recently aligned on. If you want to forget the pervious alignment stars and align as your first star, choose "Restart Alignment".

Make sure your two alignment stars are at least 10 degrees apart; 90 degrees apart is ideal. SkySafari will warn you if your alignment stars are too close together, or if their positions don't match - for example, if you've accidentally selected the wrong alignment star in SkySafari, or you're not really pointing the telescope at that star in the sky.

----------

As far as I understood the AZEQ5 and AZEQ6 used encoders on their axes, so in principle you should be able to perform this procedure for alignment using skysafari for an AZEQ5 or AZ EQ6.

What does everyone think?

OK Colin, if that is the case, I stand corrected. I have only used the Align button in Sky Safari to correct alignment as I described. If it can also be used as you suggest then I’ll give it a go. Another thing to try! Perhaps this has been introduced in version 6?

Edited by kerrylewis

I guess to test it, you would turn on the mount, ensure the aux encoder is set to enable on the handset

Turn on skysafari, point the telescope to an object, centre it on the eyepiece. Then select the object in skysafari and hit align. Point the telescope to another object, centre it on the eyepiece. As the encoders are on skysafari will show a pointing position close to this star, but if it is off select this object in skysafari and press align again.

If this does a 2 star alignment for GOTO using skysafari, it will be a really fast way to get set up :)

Last night, using the wifi adaptor I turned aux encoders on using the synscan app. If I release the cluches on an AZEQ5 mount and move the axes around the pointing position automatically updates on skysafari.

Edited by festoon

it would be simpler to use a cheap Android phone or Android TV box ,put the phone next to the mount(not compulsory) and connect to it via Sky Safari from you Apple thingy's. You could then do anything you like(again not tried on Apple)!  I suspect but havn't tried it out you go use one of those cheap Android TV box's (£30) put that next to the mount , connect Synscan App on the TV box to the mounts SW Wifi Adapter do your 2 or 3 point Alignment then connect Sky Safari to the Android TV box (ip address and port 11882 on Sky Safari - if Apple version the same as Android).

You would need to use something like VMlite VNC server on the TV box and have a Vnc viewer app on Apple (- think Apple allows you Vnc Viewer via Itunes) but only to load and do the initial alignment on Synscan App then disconnect and run Sky Safari. Stress I have not tested this as I dont use Apple

I have tried the SynScan App (pro) on my TV Box - looks big on a 40inch TV :laugh2:

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Stash_old - I have tried this with my iPhone. The connection option comes up as you suggest and I have entered the IP address but the app just says ‘Cannot connect’ 

Doesn't surprise me - but for the record  what hardware(not Apple) did you have connected to the Mount and did this have Synscan App running on it and it connected to the AZEQ6 ?  - the latter doesn't work then the rest wont !

As I say I have only tested this out with Android type hardware - weakness of Apple O/S  !

4 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

I used the Skyfi to connect to the mount. The Iphone had the app running and showed that it was connected to the Skyfi unit but the app was unable to make the connection 

Sorry Kerry just trying to get things straight in my head - when you say App on Iphone - which App - I presume Synscan Pro - so What was the App that was unable to connect :confused3: and was that on the same Iphone ?

4 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

I used the Skyfi to connect to the mount. The Iphone had the app running and showed that it was connected to the Skyfi unit but the app was unable to make the connection 

8 hours ago, stash_old said:

Sorry Kerry just trying to get things straight in my head - when you say App on Iphone - which App - I presume Synscan Pro - so What was the App that was unable to connect :confused3: and was that on the same Iphone ?

Yes it was the synscan app on the iPhone that would not connect. 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:11, prusling said:

Just want to acknowledge great support from SkyWatcher.

My one criticism of the Android app was that the slewing keypad was too close to the bottom of the screen and I would often hit the adjacent 'home' button instead of 'down'...

I contacted the app developer about this and they've quickly put out an update with adjustable footer padding.

Excellent customer service!

MMM

Is this the same updated download? I had the same problem with the pad I was using. But I have just downloaded the app (from google apps) to my smartphone and it appears exactly the same.

You mentioned "Pad" - is that an Apple Pad - maybe its not been updated but I can verify its on Android version 1.8 where "Prusling" states it is. Does make it bigger (buttons are the same size) just comes further up the screen. 

One question to all users does your App rotate ok ?

Padding          Thanks P - New version has Settings> User applications> Footer padding. Old version has only the settings page with no padding.

Rotation         Neither the pad nor my phone wants to rotate at the moment but my memory says the pad used to.

Pad                Both pad and phone are android.

I'm off to Spain soon. I used to take my 'goto' handset  out with me and use it on my supertrack mount out there. I'm going to take the Wifi module and use my phone this time. Although with the light pollution I'm not sure why I bother. But if I do use it to any extent I may leave the wifi unit there and buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought one not tried it yet I will do in the house. I have sky safari 5 Pro and the synscan Pro app in my galaxy S7. 

I think I should have no problem connecting both apps it's the aligning part I think I'm going to be stumped with. 

Hopefully I can work it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread a lot, a hand held control is often more versatile that cabled or pc based control.

Does anybody know if it's possible to connect the WiFi adapter in series to the lynx astro eqmod cable which connects via usb to the pc.

Never use handset but it could be usfule sometimes so if adapter can connect to mount port the lynx cable it would be ideal.

Cheers

Campbell

27 minutes ago, sulaco said:

I like this thread a lot, a hand held control is often more versatile that cabled or pc based control.

Does anybody know if it's possible to connect the WiFi adapter in series to the lynx astro eqmod cable which connects via usb to the pc.

Never use handset but it could be usfule sometimes so if adapter can connect to mount port the lynx cable it would be ideal.

Cheers

Campbell

If I read you right you want to have both the Wifi Adapter and the Lynx cable connected at the same time? - if so my first answer would be no as there is no connection port that allows both and you are talking about two different interfaces - RS232/TTL to Wifi(Sky Wifi adapter) and RS232/TTL to USB/Serial Com port(Lynx).  You can of course just do the obvious and swap them about as required.

Maybe I am not getting what you mean :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

What a thread, ordering a SynScan WiFi adapter with FLO and gonna purchase the SkySafari pro app from play store 

I have a nexus 7 II generation pad. Anyone knows if Sky Safari will work on this?

if not, I have iPhone & IPad Pro so will purchase SkySafari on iOS App Store 

really want to avoid buying the app twice

i have a really long usb cable that I control my canon with via backyard Eos inside the house , with this WiFi solution I can finally stay indoor for good on a photo session!!!! I can’t wait

Edited by lnlarxg
  • Like 1