Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Synscan WiFi Adapter

Dave Smith

4 hours ago, tteedd said:

Will this work for Alt Az setups?

I believe so. However i do not have a Skywatcher AZ mount to test it on.

Just been to Observatory and when i switch it on it automatically recognises the mount type. Mine is an NEQ6 Pro. I also tested it at the Club last night and it recognised the EQ5. So it looks hopeful that it should recognise an AZ mount. There is also a brightest star align which i have found tends to be mainly used on AZ mounts (or it was when i owned a Skywatcher AZ mount).

Edited by m.tweedy
additional text

6 hours ago, tteedd said:

Will this work for Alt Az setups?

So long as the hardware cable is correct it should - Both the Synscan App Pro and Ascom Synscan Pro (Mobile) do work with AZ mounts that I have tested BUT I use my own hardware not a Skywatcher Wifi kit. But it does show AZ connection is possible - my test was with an Old SWAZ goto which I have converted into a DSLR mount - works fines with CDC,APT but you need to connect in a set order (I have found).   

1. Connect SynScan Pro to your hardware - it should recognise the mounts board as AZ (Note AZeq6 allows you to choose either EQ or AZ)

2. Once (1) is connected start you application - e.g. CDC choose Ascom and when shown the Chooser select SynScanMobile and press "ok" - you will be shown another window showing an IP address (I get 2 one is the PC and the other is the Mount) - note this window seems to like hiding behind other windows .You may not get it using UDP type connections.

3. Start any other App's and do (2) . Repeat until all app's connected

4. When finishing you should close the App's down leaving just the Synscan Pro app running this way you should be able to use the "Hibernation" button on the Synscan App - it remembers your settings and then reminds you to power down the mount.

As I say I use my own Wifi hardware which presents a serial interface to SynScan App but the Skywatcher Wifi adapter should also work. I have not tried out the Skywatcher Ascom Mount (not to be confused with the Sky Watcher Ascom Mobile driver) so I dont know if that works at all with AZ mounts.

Also note my set up uses Windows 10 and/or Windows Vista - works on both !

It would be interesting to know that the Skywatcher Wifi Adapter works - it should

Clear Skies

Thanks for info.

Spent a l ong time in the obs last night.

Downloaded and unzipped the two files onto the Dell laptop (Win10) I have in the obs.

Found I needed latest Ascom software. Lots of troubles with this as the dell did not seem to want it's old ascom software (inherited with laptop) deleted.

Eventually overcame this and tried to take the route in the information file. (Many times). This comes to a halt with:

"Connect your mount to your PC using a suitable RS232 cable, with a USB to serial adaptor if required, turn the mount on and align it.  For testing a quick align will do. Choose your telescope in the ASCOM chooser"

There was no sign of the "ASCOM chooser"!

Anyone help from here?

Notes:

I have already had the rig working with wifi module and Android pad.

I have used Stelleraium via a seril link and my handset.

There are no symbols relating to the wifi anywhere.

The laptop sees and connects to the wifi unit.

I have tried entering my scope detail when running ascom diagnostics (and lots of other things I can think of).

What connection setting did you choose in the SynScan Pro App - if you are using a real Skywatcher Wifi adapter then it should be set (clicked) to UDP !

Was your Firewall blocking your connection to your Adapter.

When you say "No sign of Ascom Chooser" what App/program did you use to connect to Ascom - should have been something like CDC , Byeos,APT or any other program that has an Ascom Interface. The SynScan App does not show the "Chooser" it only connects to the mount - this then allows Ascom interfaced software to connect to the mount via the SynScan App.

Stellarium will not connect to Ascom without using Stellarium Scope!

Have you tried using the "Emulator" connection setting in SunScanPro App - this will enable you to test out that Ascom is working correctly - if this works then Ascom is ok.  Note you will be asked by the Synscan Pro App which mode (AZ or EQ) you want - this does not happen when you connect to a real mount as it knows what the mount is (except mounts which can be AZ and EQ - e.g. AZEQ6-GT)

For testing purposes try using CDC even if you remove it later - its less confusing on Telescope Settings

ascom4.png

ascom3.png

ascom2.png

ascom1.png

Very comprehensive reply. Much better than i would have come up with. My basic error at first was not connecting the laptop wifi to the dongle. After that it just worked after i used the telescope chooser 

ASCOM Driver for SynScan App and SynScan Pro App

This ASCOM driver works with SynScan App running on a smartphone, a tablet or a Windows PC, it supports slewing, GOTO and auto-guiding. SynScan App version 1.00 or above is required. After installation, choose "SynScanMobile Telescope" as you telescope in ASCOM Telescope Chooser.
  • Like 2

Thanks very much both.

I was going to bring the scope indoors and play in the warmth tomorrow. Somehow I don't get cold observing but got too cold staring at a screen and scratching my head last night. But now I think I should be able to progress with your advice and I'll bring the obs laptop and prepare indoors and have another go outside when I get the chance. I avoided Michael's basic error but think I have made another one.

I'll let you know.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tteedd said:

Thanks very much both.

I was going to bring the scope indoors and play in the warmth tomorrow. Somehow I don't get cold observing but got too cold staring at a screen and scratching my head last night. But now I think I should be able to progress with your advice and I'll bring the obs laptop and prepare indoors and have another go outside when I get the chance. I avoided Michael's basic error but think I have made another one.

I'll let you know.

Yep been there got the Tee shirt - always do it indoors - well unless its summer :-)

Thanks very much Dave for your advice here.

Received my Synscan wifi adapter today, plugged into the AZ EQ6, fired up my Android Nexus tablet. Connected fine.

Set up Sky Safari Plus with the IP address and connected to mount and operating motors.

All seems fine on Android.

I can confirm it doesn't work with Ipad !

Very satisfying and now all set up for star parties for our summer visitors to SW France. 

4 hours ago, Nightwatchman said:

Received my Synscan wifi adapter today, plugged into the AZ EQ6, fired up my Android Nexus tablet. Connected fine.

Set up Sky Safari Plus with the IP address and connected to mount and operating motors.

Very satisfying and now all set up for star parties for our summer visitors to SW France. 

It will and does work with an ipad but it is a pain. You need two apple devices the first running the Skywatcher wifi app the second running sky safari with the setting that Skywatcher list in the help section of the app

Just want to acknowledge great support from SkyWatcher.

My one criticism of the Android app was that the slewing keypad was too close to the bottom of the screen and I would often hit the adjacent 'home' button instead of 'down'...

I contacted the app developer about this and they've quickly put out an update with adjustable footer padding.

Excellent customer service!

• Like 3

Hi,

Not sure if this has already been covered already - if you attach the Synscan WiFi Adapter to the Skywatcher NEQ6PRO Mount, will the Polarscope illuminator still function? or does this only become illuminated when using the Synscan Handset?
Regards,

Steve

I have a GTI AZ Mount and use iOS. I’m sure it’s the same hardware as in the Wi-Fi adaptor. I really love the GTI mount. The two device thing is irritating but it’s not too bad.

I’ve been surprised at how good the app is actually. It’s quite basic looking but it works quite well. 

Edited by London_David

On 09/01/2018 at 15:37, Nightwatchman said:

Hi @Nightwatchman, on your AZEQ6, if in AZ mode and using the Synscan app have you tried to use the alignment routine called North Level Alignment. Just wondering if this works with an AZEQ5 as its a quick way to get set up :)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone :)

Just wanted to pass on some information, and ask a question...

I have managed to set up a skywatcher wifi adaptor on my new AZ-EQ5 using the synscan pro app on my iphone 4s. And just to confirm the alignment routine north level alignment works fantastically with the AZ-EQ5 in AZ mode. I can be set up and aligned in minutes.

I have downloaded skysafari on my second device, a ipad mini and can connect by doing the following

1) Connect IPhone to synscan network and open synscan app and connect to mount

2) Run alignment routine

3) Connect Ipad to synscan network

4) Open skysafari and go to settings

5) Enter IP address that my iphone is using to talk to the wifi adaptor. This can be found by going into your iphone settings, then press wifi, then press the (i) button next to the connected synscan wifi

6) enter port number 11882 and press done

7) Return to skysafari home screen, press scope and then connect

Now this is what I found, it will only connect if your device running synscan (in my case my iphone) is still active. If the device has locked skysafari will not connect to the wifi. So to get over this I have had to on my iphone, go into settings, then general settings, and set auto lock to never. It now connects fine.

I presume what is happening is that when my iphone locks its is dropping its connection to the synscan wifi network or the synscan app does not run in the background. Does anyone know if there is a way of fixing this. I.e. to have the iphone locked and keep its wifi perminanely running or the app perminantly on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, festoon said:

I presume what is happening is that when my iphone locks its is dropping its connection to the synscan wifi network or the synscan app does not run in the background. Does anyone know if there is a way of fixing this. I.e. to have the iphone locked and keep its wifi perminanely running or the app perminantly on?

Hi Colin. There is currently no way around this. It is an iOS issue in that the Synscan app will not run in the background, it must remain active. That's why you need a second device to run SkySafari, so they can both be active on the two separate devices.

My way around this was to use a SynScan handset and then to use SkyWire to connect (you can also use Skyfi). This completely bypasses the AZGTi wifi which is a shame but it's a more useable solution I think, and works well.

I doubt there will be a fix for this, unless SkySafari integrate the Synscan app into their app so only one needs to be running. This would be a huge piece of work and unlikely given other priorities I think.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Morning Colin. Do you, or anyone, know if the Synscan app works with the Skyfi WiFi adapter or only with the Skywatcher adapter? 

What are you trying to do Kerry, use SkyFi to allow you to run the Synscan app, not using SkySafari?

Have you tried using Skyfi into the handset and connecting that way, i.e. Bypassing the Synscan app?

56 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Morning Colin. Do you, or anyone, know if the Synscan app works with the Skyfi WiFi adapter or only with the Skywatcher adapter? 

Good Morning Kerry :) I hope you are well!

Unfortunately I do not know if the synscan app works with a skyfi wifi adaptor

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

Actually it seems like a yes.

IMG_6496.PNG

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

Kerry, I use the skyfi WiFi adapter on my az gti. I align the mount using synscan. Then once aligned turn on skyfi and using the correct scope settings connect the scope to skyfi. I then use SkySafari to control the mount and just ignore the synscan app. I think SkySafari has much better functionality.

8 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Kerry, I use the skyfi WiFi adapter on my az gti. I align the mount using synscan. Then once aligned turn on skyfi and using the correct scope settings connect the scope to skyfi. I then use SkySafari to control the mount and just ignore the synscan app. I think SkySafari has much better functionality.

Is that using the handset though Gavin? That has to be there to replace the synscan app doesn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, festoon said:

Thanks @Stu. The main issue is it drains the battery of my phone quite quickly if I leave the screen always on. Oh well...there are always issues, and they seem to end up with the user spending more money for new equipment :) 

True enough. You can at least turn the brightness right down to save a little battery?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is that using the handset though Gavin? That has to be there to replace the synscan app doesn't it?

Thinking about it, yes I think you do need the handset since you need to be able to plug the computer lead from the skyfi module into the Az gti and the only way you can do this is via the handset.

It’s been a while since I last used the az gti at night.

• Thanks 1