Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CNC equipment

Dave_D

So, after a recent windfall, i'm planning on expanding my collection of toys (after a car and new mount) to include this for messing about with 10-15mm aluminium plate

http://ooznest.co.uk/3D-Printer-CNC-Kits-Bundles/WorkBee-CNC-Machine/WorkBee-CNC-Full-Kit (and probably this http://openbuildspartstore.com/openbuilds-minimill/)

The standard build uses a Dewalt 26200 router, which unfortunately, could wake the dead in operation... I've been looking at a Kress 1050 spindle instead of the Dewalt but was wondering if anyone has any experience of Kress spindles?

Hi Dave FYI, Ryan @ Ooznest can also supply the mini mill kit...

Don't know about Kress spindles, but I have a Dewalt & don't find it too bad. I also have one of the cheap eBay Chinese 400 watt spindles, that I use with a printed body adapter.

Good luck on the builds. 

what do you think of the chinese spindles in terms of reliability? i've seen a lot of them advertised?

this is what sold it for me about using a spindle instead of a router, as living in a flat, noise is an issue (obviously, there's no cutting noise but y'know...) but i've got a storage room at the end of the balcony which will fit a 750x750 machine perfectly once it's soundproofed.

One advantage of the Chinese spindle is that it has PWM speed control (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-400W-Spindle-Motor-ER11-Mach3-PWM-speed-controller-Mount-engraving-set/111938787450?epid=627874500&hash=item1a1012587a:g:U~EAAOSwT6pVxVxR), that can be driven from the SparkFun controller, makes it more useful for cutting material that require a lower speed e.g. perspex...

Also if your worried about noise, you'd better build your machines in a sound proof box, as just the motor movement maked a racket....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

first gcode :D

has GRBL, will Gerbil...

can start making bits'n'pieces soon as i fit the spindle and build the table for my 'cnc room' :D diy losmandy methinks as soon as i can find a 8mm shank dovetail cutter. 

it's a bit dark, and yeah i built it in my living room lol

• 1 month later...

z-probing is all working nicely now... got an aluminium t-slot bed arriving tomorrow... should be moving on to cutting aluminium if this test cut is dimensionally accurate. now, where's my ruler???

Archived