SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Loch Lomond

Androo46

Hi all, 

Just bought my first telescope and hoping to make use of the dark skies near where it stay. Decided to keep my first scope inexpensive and went for a second hand Skywatcher 114/500p. 

Just need to work out how to collomate it! Read and reread astro baby's guide but still not 100% I've got it. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome from the other side of the national park.  There are plenty of reasonably dark skies within the park, for example try the northern part of loch lomond and the Dukes Pass in the Trossachs.  

Welcome from land down under

Collimation can be a bit tricky for a new comer

The simplest way is to buy a laser collimator

Align secondary mirror first with red dot centre of the primary mirror

When aligning secondary mirror, do not loosen the centre screw, as entire secondary mirror can move out of alignment

Then slightly loosen locking screws primary mirror, and adjust primary mirror until unable to see laser image centre of the target

Tighten securing screws ensuring primary mirror does not move out of alignment

Once done, no need to adjust, unless doing lot of travelling with your scope to dark sky locations

With practise, take you just a couple of minutes to collimate your scope

Happy Viewing

John

Archived