Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you Hope to Observe come next New Moon

scarp15

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:44, wookie1965 said:

With the Lp here and the bright street light I have had to make a shield. I go for clusters now and double stars I leave the deep sky stuff until I go away. There is plenty of stuff to look at out there. 

Most certainly good to place value and report on double stars, clusters, observing from home or away. NGC 2169 has I think been referred to in reports, a nice small open cluster up in Orion, nicknamed the 37 Cluster (more like a 73 in a reflector) sometimes referred to as an X and Y. One that certainly is referred to in reports, NGC 2419 in Lynx the Intergalactic Wanderer, 300,000 light year distance from the solar system, this globular cluster is worth seeking out. Thanks for highlighting yes there is certainly plenty of stuff to look at out there and two that will be back on my list next time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JOC said:

I looked at this thread title and immediately thought, 'Well I'd settle for actually being able to see the sky full stop!"

Keep the faith, it looks like we might be getting a good cold front moving in, sure with it comes snow, wind, ice but equally promise for great transparency at times. Should this become established for over the new moon period (and looks good for this Friday, Saturday if anyone is out) I intend to further highlight time upon observing nebulosity within the Pleiades, particularly after reading Gerry's account with his Heritage 130. 

With the 18", I'll give Phil Harrington's "Cosmic Challenge" no. 157 (from his wonderful book; same title) a try - to spot some of the eight background galaxies beyond M 44. Five of them are labeled in the NGC, with magnitudes ranging from 14,5 to 15,6; so they should be doable with mags of about 200x and little eyepiece glass in the way - which means the orthos. At least, I'll have no problems with star-hopping to my targets!

DSC_0672.JPG

On 03/12/2017 at 15:56, Mr Spock said:

Hopefully, I'll see the new moon :smile:

Me too! Having just followed the lunation from new to past full in Tenerife I'd like to do the same from here as a comparison. Not holding my breath though.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived