SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do you Hope to Observe come next New Moon

scarp15

November had provided a good few opportunities for deep sky observing, who knows what's in store for around mid December time, can only hope its going to be another good one. It would be lovely to be entertained by the Geminids meteor shower, prominent around the 14th of the month. In terms of deep sky, I have yet to visit the Rosette nebula in Monoceros this year. I would like to focus attention up in Auriga, particularly on the Flaming Star again and to pay attention once more on to the California nebula up in Perseus. The big challenge will be to sweep along the 'brighter portion' of Barnard's Loop, Orion, a very difficult subject, I have encountered a very subtle aspect of this previously, only possible when transparency is particularly good. The comet like Hubble's Variable nebula in Monoceros is also always worth a visit.

Lots more besides, interesting to hear of your own suggestions, plans for the forthcoming month, hopefully.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping there will be at least one night worthy of talking my 12" out to a dark(er) site. I picked it up last week, and have been enjoying the views from the garden.

I'm not very good at finding things, but know how to find a few clusters. So less about the targets themselves, and more about discovering what the 12" can do on the small number of targets I know.

Be nice to see M33. Other than M31 and our own, I've never visually observed another galaxy.

I've been on a galaxy kick lately, and am looking forward to spending more time looking at the Virgo cluster and Leo galaxies.  I am also hoping to catch a glimpse of NGC 4038, the antennae galaxies.  I recently got an OIII filter, so definitely plan on spending more time on the Veils and Rosette nebula as well as trying to see the Flame and Flaming Star nebulas.  I want to do some more star splitting as well.

If I have a particularly dark sky I'll hit some oldies but goodies, Orion Nebula, Tarantula, Carina, 47Tuc, Omega Cent and the rosette.. but one thing I really want to see is the horsehead visually, so I'll give it a go.....

My goals are similar to yours Iain. The 200mm dob under worsening transparency (great when the moon was up and went south as it set) managed to see the bright section of Barnards Loop with a Hb, which is a good sign for things to come under better conditions.  The first thing on this seasons list is the Eridanus Loop which will be challenging. The maps are printed and the locating stars studied a bit- should be interesting.

Orion_Eridanus_Superbubble_chartErismall.jpg

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

My goals are similar to yours Iain. The 200mm dob under worsening transparency (great when the moon was up and went south as it set) managed to see the bright section of Barnards Loop with a Hb, which is a good sign for things to come under better conditions.  The first thing on this seasons list is the Eridanus Loop which will be challenging. The maps are printed and the locating stars studied a bit- should be interesting.

I did pick up the Eridanus loop last season, but only had one go at it.  Would really like an annual confirmation.  It becomes more real if you observe something regularly year(s) apart.

Hope you get the necessary conditions! 

Paul   and Geminids on the night of  Wed 13 thru to Thurs 14

Alas my observing is on the back burner (December schedule is full) until January. Cone (again!)..might have a bash at Barnards and get some serious Galaxy bagging.

One that's bugging me at the moment is Leo 1 Steve (Swampthing) has seen it and tells me it's a bit tricky, love a challenge me!...clear skies everyone 

I've had a lot of binocular and naked eye observing sessions this season due to the dob project - 16" is still in bits and the solid tube 12" is too unwieldy to lug around a garden which is a steep hill. Took on a new job recently so not much free time, just like Calv. It's all good, though.

It has been fun - the 'grab and go' elements have been stress free and 'widefield' astronomy has enabled me to notice some fabulous meteors including a massive earth grazer a few weeks ago. However, I really miss seeing deep sky stuff through a light bucket....*sigh*

This New Moon,  it would be grand if I could just reacquaint myself with M42 and the usual suspects!!

I reckon I'd like to try the California and Rosette nebulae from our dark site. Never seen the former, and the latter only a few times years ago in my 106mm triplet, very nice. Sure the Tak can do a similar job.

2 hours ago, estwing said:

Alas my observing is on the back burner (December schedule is full) until January. Cone (again!)..might have a bash at Barnards and get some serious Galaxy bagging.

One that's bugging me at the moment is Leo 1 Steve (Swampthing) has seen it and tells me it's a bit tricky, love a challenge me!...clear skies everyone 

Rain washed sky!!!  Lowish power narrow FOV eyepiece etc.  I think I was using a 32mm TV Plossl with an 18" dob from Donna Nook first time.

Good luck Paul 

45 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Rain washed sky!!!  Lowish power narrow FOV eyepiece etc.  I think I was using a 32mm TV Plossl with an 18" dob from Donna Nook first time.

Good luck Paul 

Would this also have included using a H-beta or UHC filter Paul? The nebulosity South of open cluster NGC 2264, is I understand the visual aspect and only as you imply with excellent transparency conditions. That is also a good point concerning a narrow field, lowish power plossl, requiring a Horse Head approach, though perhaps employing a slightly larger exit pupil.

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thanks for posting that map Gerry, good luck with this observation, intend to use my 8" F6 dob next time. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

DobMob have made me curious about the cone... how hard can it be??

Very ...I've seen the cone along with Steve observing at Elan, but not the whole structure..it's not that hard to catch part of it..(Dark transparent skies with full dark adaption and observing hood!) but to catch the whole sherbang?...Gerrys got fantastic skies he may of bagged it

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Would this also have included using a H-beta or UHC filter Paul?

Ha, my comments were regarding Leo I.  How to reduce and avoid glare...

...however, I used an UHC filter for the notch in the Cone Nebula.

Good luck.  Paul

Ive seen the wider fox fur nebula that streams down below the rosette, but not with the resolution to see the cone.. bit like seeing ic434 easily, but not the  Horsehead... got to hope @GavStar can provide enough focal length.

Was I right in remembering the cocoon being labelled as hard too?

Peter

7 hours ago, estwing said:

A good catch indeed but maybe in the summer months?

They have been rising about an hour before dawn here, and continue to climb higher in the sky each night.  Maybe by the dark moon, I can manage a glimpse.  If not, these will remain on my list until I manage to see them!

Archived