Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield.jpg.36065d79cb2625eb299137a5b4432c96.jpg

JeremyS

A Great Year for the Geminids (hopefully!)

JeremyS    386

Active from December 6-17, the Geminids are currently the richest of the regular annual meteor showers, producing an abundance of bright meteors, with rates outstripping those of the August Perseids for a 24-hour interval centred on their 14 December. Have a look at this article by Dr John Mason for observing prospects for this year's shower.

Jeremy

• Like 10

ronin    3,755

Cannot recall a meteor shower peak where it has not been horizon to horizon cloud for the peak and at least 4 days either side. :clouds1::clouds1:

Actually beginning to suspect that talk of such is "Fake News". :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

scarp15    2,237

Looking forward to it, as you say hopefully.

• Like 1

andrew63    1,086

The Perseids put on a good show this year, so looking forward to the Geminids.

andrew

• Like 1

DavidJM    47

Please please give me a clear sky, so want a good view of this shower

• Like 1

LukeSkywatcher    7,835

The Geminid shower is my favourite. It's been cloudy the last few yrs, so hopefully it will be clear this year. I might even attempt some images. :iamwithstupid:

• Like 1

BinocularSky    1,712
Excellent account, including how to photograph it, of the impending Geminid meteor shower from Mary McIntyre. In contrast to a certain ultracrepidarian BBC science correspondent (who has probably never actually bothered to observe a meteor shower), Mary tells you why you won't see the ZHR and why you shouldn't centre your gaze at the radiant.

Pete Presland    7,788
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:04, BinocularSky said:
Excellent account, including how to photograph it, of the impending Geminid meteor shower from Mary McIntyre. In contrast to a certain ultracrepidarian BBC science correspondent (who has probably never actually bothered to observe a meteor shower), Mary tells you why you won't see the ZHR and why you shouldn't centre your gaze at the radiant.

What a fabulous word "ultracrepidarian" :icon_biggrin: Thank you for the link as well!

mwayne    180

I went out from 0805 to 0845 ( when clouds rolled in) UT on the 14th and counted 35. Nothing like two years ago when I saw a much higher count.

paulastro    3,097

I had to start out for work at 4.15 this morning. While waiting for the car to thaw out with the engine running (between 3.50 and 3.55) I saw 7 Gemenids in 5 minutes, including a fabulous fireball which started near the radiant and was about mag -5 and an electric blue colour :smile:.

theropod    16

From dusk until about 2 am the skies in north Arkansas, USA were nearly perfect, and the meteors were frequent. I managed to capture a dozen with my iPhone using both my barn door tracker and my iOptron SkyTracker Pro for long exposure shots. One 10 minute frame on the iOptron gave me 5 individual meteors. The radiant was clearly defined!

The things that stand out about the Geminids is how much slower they are than the Perseids, and the brilliance. The Perseids seem to have a golden hue whereas the Geminids seem far more white.

For a meteor chaser last night was awesome even if the prime hours were wasted with clouds. I must have seen 200 meteors and some fantastic fireballs. One particular beauty to the south dove almost to the horizon and finished with a brilliant blue flash.

Edited by theropod
Fixed typos and added more info

Littleguy80    1,041

Just went outside after hours of wrapping Christmas presents and was treated to a really bright meteor streaking across the sky. It reminded me of a sparkler due to it’s brightness. At least I managed one Geminid in the end!

Stu    15,217

Likewise for me, was tottering home from the station after a night out in London and spotted a nice bright one as I was glancing upwards (trying not to stagger too much ;) ) and managed one more from the garden in about 5 mins.

• Like 1

Stub Mandrel    5,857

I saw four, one small, two medium and one large in less than ten minutes, but it was cold and drippy and snowy so I was happy with that.

• Like 1