Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Space Cowboy

Do these EQ5 Gears look normal?

I'm having tracking issues with my Skywatcher EQ5 Pro mount. The tracking errors in RA suggest backlash. Here is a video I've taken of the RA gears. There is a small amount of play in them, is this normal? If the play needs tightening up, do I adjust the 3 grubs screws next to the gears? Thanks for any advice.

The gears look normal but the backlash looks a little excessive. You should be able to slacken the motor unit and push it towards the mating gear and then lock it in place. Don't overdo it though as gears need a minimum amount of play to operate at their best.   :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

An additional second thought, make sure that the motor unit gear is firmly attached to its shaft. It will have a flat surface milled on it for the grubscrew to tighten against.   :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

High Stuart,

I have one and recently replaced the gear cogs for a belt drive. When I saw your image I went to my supply box. My old gears look the same as yours, but I can't remember what they looked like when in the stand.

Neil

• Like 1

Slightly different mount (HEQ5) but I found that I had to have the motor gear about 0.5 to 1mm lower then the driven gear wheel. If they were level then they worked badly, when set as mentioned they all rotated much happier.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick response guys!

I've followed your instructions cheers Peter! The shaft screw was tight so I slackened off the 3 grub screws and moved the motor across and now things are a lot more snug but still with a tiny bit of play so hopefully this is the sweet spot. Taken another video of the result, alas camera phone focus slightly out this time but you get the idea!

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

An additional second thought, make sure that the motor unit gear is firmly attached to its shaft. It will have a flat surface milled on it for the grubscrew to tighten against.   :icon_biggrin: 

The gear with your forefinger on it clearly has its grub screw at 90 degrees to the flat on the shaft.

I suggest loosening the screw lining it up with the flat and re-tightening if you haven't already.

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The gear with your forefinger on it clearly has its grub screw at 90 degrees to the flat on the shaft.

I suggest loosening the screw lining it up with the flat and re-tightening if you haven't already.

There are 2 grub screws, one on the flat side of the shaft and one at 90 degrees to that. Both are tight thanks Neil.

• Like 1

An old engineers trick with smaller gears like these is to put a bit of cigarette paper (Rizla red or green) between the gears and then tighten up.  Turn the gears so the paper works its way out from between the teeth and you should have things "spot on".  The paper is about 1.5 "thou" thick. (1.5 thousandths of an inch).

• Like 2

The play in my CG-5 is the same. I adjusted the motor like you. 

You have just got to watch the gears do not bind. 

Thanks Roger thats an interesting tip!

Cheers Steve it seems to be running ok so far. The true test will be out in the cold.