Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi,

Does using binocular cause any eye pain? I used one binocular it was good but it caused some eye pain so I returned it...

If collimation is out on the binoculars then yes this could cause eye strain where the two images do not line up correctly due to poor collimation or a knock to the binoculars.

4FC608B6-CDEB-4315-B69A-7E186B9FC94D.jpeg.2ab8d5c85eee9c9af4cc6c1617f8561d.jpeg

2 options are

1: as above the collimation is out, in which case it needs adjusting, who by is up to you, but as you have sent them back I suppose the retailer will possibly make adjustments.

2: You have 2 different eyes (right and left amongst other things) and have not adjusted the diopter setting on the adjustable binocular eyepiece. Seems that usually the right hand eye piece is adjustable so you focus on something predominently using your left eye, get that in focus and then turn the right hand eyepice adjustment to get the right hand eye view in focus. That indicates the diopter difference between your eyes. Mine are about 1/4 diopter different.

Actually getting binoculars set up and comfortable is a bit more extended then people assume. Easy to do and I tend to do it at every outing with them.

In my experience poorly collimated binoculars either give double vision or an uncomfortable feeling (strain). Double vision can make you feel dizzy and the strain can cause a headache, but eye pain? An unsharp image in one or both eyes doesn't look good and causes no pain either.

Could you tell us more about the pain you felt? Was it in both eyes, was it a stinging pain , a dull pain or what? When did you first feel the pain?

Did you not forget to blink? If you are in Delhi, were you trying the binoculars during that really bad spell of air pollution that Delhi had a few weeks ago?

16 hours ago, Ruud said:

In my experience poorly collimated binoculars either give double vision or an uncomfortable feeling (strain). Double vision can make you feel dizzy and the strain can cause a headache, but eye pain? An unsharp image in one or both eyes doesn't look good and causes no pain either.

Could you tell us more about the pain you felt? Was it in both eyes, was it a stinging pain , a dull pain or what? When did you first feel the pain?

Did you not forget to blink? If you are in Delhi, were you trying the binoculars during that really bad spell of air pollution that Delhi had a few weeks ago?

this is the first time am using binoculars...i didn't collimate it..next time i ll do and see...

It's difficult to impossible to collimate binoculars, but there's a quick test to see if they are OK: http://www.nightskyinfo.com/binoculars-tests/ 

Binoculars are safe as long as you don't look at the Sun with them. Remember that the retina registers no pain and even at sunset, when the Sun looks dim in visual light, it's still too bright in infra-red light and unsafe to observe with binoculars.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By orions_boot
      Evening all.  Thanks to you all so far for helping me working out my telescope purchase.  In the intervening period I purchased a pair of 10x50 Olympus bins and spent a week outside at least an hour every night working out what I am looking at.
      I haven't kept a full log of each night in detail so I will summarise what I have seen.  It is not particularly dark where I live but I had had a chance on two nights to go rural and then to 'dark sky site' all of which has spoiled me!  Street lights go off after midnight here so I reckon that could make a big difference and will check later in the week.
      Jupiter - The first and easiest target on the very first night.  I was taken back being able to see the moons in a straight line, one to the left and three to the right.  Over the week I have seen the arrangement change in distance between moons and even number of moons visible.  
      Saturn - Very small but clearly yellow.  Sometimes I think I can see the rings and then I wonder if it is a blur on the lens or just not focusing.  
      Something above and to the right diagonal of Jupiter - I am trying to work out what this is from Stellarium but I don't know for sure.   A possible candidate is M26.  I first saw it this evening and describe it as a definite white fuzz.  Could anyone please suggest an object and advise me how to correctly describe the direction/method to find objects to other people?
      Coathanger - One of the first asterisms I came across by mistake and have used it every night as a way to find some other stuff I researched.
      M27 - Managed to navigate to this every time from Sagitta.  From my garden is a faint white circle.  Rural I saw a less faint white circle.  Dark sky I saw a rather bright white circle and with some long blinking and everted vision I thought I could see faint details of the apple core shape at the top and bottom.
      M31 - I first found this at the rural location semi by mistake and working off a vague memory of a route I read to find it.  Seeing this was the best feeling so far.  The idea that I was looking at an entire galaxy through only a pair of binoculars seemed quite amazing.   It was a white fuzz in the middle and with some blinking and averted vision I could see it spreading out sideways. I have found it again tonight but it mostly remains as a white fuzz blob but a rather large one.  It seems to take a bit of time in to the night before it becomes visible.
      NGC6997 - I have inferred this was the object having looked around Deneb where there is quite a lot of action.   It was a smallish cluster and not particularly bright but obviously a cluster and the only thing on Stellarium in this area.
      Milky Way - Whilst at the dark sky site I could very clearly follow the Milky Way and make out what I thought was dust between the stars.  
      Mars - a very small but obviously red dot.
      Stars - Not so easy for me at the moment to name different stars.  I know around Vega I have seen a double star one blue one more orange but this could equally have been somewhere else in the sky.  I have also seen a lot of stars in pairs often of different colours around Cygnus.

• By Starbuddypal
      I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

• By Blackware
      I just got into observing and would love to be able to take a picture of what I'm seeing. I got an old Nikon D60 from 2012? laying here still working perfectly with multiple lenses. I did some research and found I should buy some kind of T-ring as an adapter between the telescope and camera. Is this the only thing I need to take an image ? 
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Hislip5354
      Hello all, 
      New to the hobby and eager to learn information about where to start. Mostly interested in planet viewing, especially the moon. Looking to start out and need the portability as i may have to get out of town a ways to really get a good look at the heavens. I'm considering  either a set of 20x50 or 20x80 binoculars (tripod mounted) or  getting a Meade StarPro AZ 90mm telescope. Both are within 50$ of each other online. Wondering what would be my best bet for starting out, I will be staying focused on the moon for now, and thats my #1 priority (seeing the moon in extreme detail) but may soon get into farther planets/galaxy observation. 
      I greatly appreciate any advise.
      thank you. 
    • By Varavall
      I sell my refurbished Nikon 300mm AF-S VR f2,8G ED with Nikon warranty until September 2020. I am selling as my interests require different equipment. It is in excellent functional state, the tripod mount and the original Nikon hood have wear commensurate with normal use. This objective is excellent for wildlife photography, astrophotography and sports photography. Also included is a set of Gobe neutral density filters to enable long exposure in bright conditions. I would consider exchange, with monetary adjustment if necessary, for something for astronomy such as Takahashi telescopes and/or quality equatorial mount.

Price £1900 (Current model available new for around £5500)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.