Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

DeepSkyMan

Lightweight Guidescope Mount Recommendations

Ok, so here it is, I’m quite fed up with clumsy thumbscrew adjustment of my finderscope, so I’ve decided to get a guidescope mount that provides proper alt-az adjustment.  So I’m looking for recommendations for a lightweight guidescope mount.  I have looked at the Skywatcher offering, but this is a whopping 900 grams I’m thinking I’d like something closer to 500g or less if possible.  The intention is to mount my 80mm Altair Astro Maxi-Finder on this device.  Note the mount will be used for classical finder scope activity so the resulting kit doesn’t need the tight tolerances that would be required for an AP setup.

I'm not to sure about attachment requirements.  I'm assuming that attachment will be something along the lines of:

Scope

Standard Vixen dovetail bar

Dovetail clamp

Guidescope Mount

Dovetail attachment

Finderscope

Kind Regards

Paul.

Edited by DeepSkyMan

For now use will be with my 80mm Maxi-finder for conventional observation as opposed to AP although this is a future consideration.  I attach a picture of the maxi-finder on a conventional synta dovetail mount.  I’m thinking that I would be better to lose the synta mount to bring the finder closer to the optical axis?

36A59EAF-26B9-4E6E-8DD0-E29B6606DB25.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GeekyPete
      My Az GTi mount had been working well, apart from occasional Wi-Fi drop-outs, until yesterday, when the batteries ran low.
      I'd left it running unattended for a while, and when I came back found it had stopped tracking and the red LED was continuously rapidly flashing. This isn't described in the users manual, but I presumed it was a low power indication.
      I plugged in an external battery pack, that I know to be good as it has been used before and has 8 of the same batteries as the internal battery pack, but now when I switch it on the LED flashes a couple of times and then stays steady on. The manual says that this indicates that the internal Wi-Fi is off and, sure enough its SSID is now never broadcast. There is no explanation in the manual as to why the Wi-Fi should be off, nor how to switch it back on, which is a shame, as the mount is now effectively "bricked", as I don't have a Synscan handset or Wi-Fi dongle to try. I've put new batteries in the internal battery pack and tried that, but get the same result.
      Has anyone else had this experience, or better, know of a solution? Is there a secret internal factory reset button that can be accessed by removing the cover? - or will I have to return it for repair? The Az Gti firmware is the latest Equatorial compatible version.
       Thanks!
      Pete
    • By Gary Shaw
      Hi All I’m considering purchasing an 8”aperture, f3.8 newtonian ( primarily for EAA) from Orion UK and would appreciate any input or feedback from anyone familiar with the product, the company or the purchasing process - and how to assess the compatibility with my current cameras.
      This is would be a step up from my current equipment and entails selecting components that I’ve never used and know little about such as a rack and pinion focuser and components (ACU-3L), and coma corrector (Wynne Corrector). I’ve added links to these items below.  I’m also feeling unsure of how to mate up my Zwo 178 and 294 cameras to the 3” focuser and whether there will be an acceptable match between the scope optics and my sensors.
      I’m sure the folks at Orion UK will assist with all this but I’d sure welcome input from the Stargazer's Lounge community before starting the dialog with Orion UK.
      thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
      Gary
      ACU-3L Focuser selection Info: https://www.orionopt...sers.html#ACU3L
      Wynne Corrector selection Info: https://www.orionopt...torsfittin.html

• By rotatux
      Designed on electronic paper, then printed and cut, all in a few hours.
    • By LachlanR
      I’m looking for a supplier of telescope quality mirror sets at 100mm f4, preferably parabolic. Does anyone have suggestions? I would specially commission if necessary. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.