Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula, last year and last week.

Peco4321

Very nice. A great way to show how much you have improved.

My first attempt at AP was Orion. And yeah, similar to yours then. Now, with better equipment and a much better understanding of AP and how to image Orion. The transformation is amazing. I posted my new image yesterday on here. Its in my galery. :) 

Thanks for sharing.

Amazing progress*.  The first one is beautiful in its own right, it has a vintage feel, like it belongs in an old hardback book that smells of yellowing paper and cracking glue on a weakened spine (My Burnham's handbooks come to mind).  The one below, well that belongs in a glossy modern publication.  

*As I state regularly when loitering the imaging sections, I am visual only and know nothing about this stuff, so please excuse me.  I respect the technical heartache and pain you poor people put yourselves through. 

49 minutes ago, deepind said:

Hi..how to get this type of image? What device and software used?

Hi. I have a skywatcher 150p on eq3-2 mount with dual motors. I have a polar scope now so I can get more accurate alignment. I attach my canon 1100d at prime focus, use a bathinov mask to get as sharp focus as possible on a bright star then go the object I'm after. Setting on the camera were ISO 800 and I have magic lantern on the camera so I can set exposures of any length. I chose 60 sec as trailing starts above that. 

I left it going for an hour or so, then took darks and bias frames, stacked them in DSS and processed in Gimp. All free downloads , I am from Yorkshire!!  

Hope that helps. 

thanks for reply..

i have celestron 130eq and nikon d3200 ...but couldn't capture like this ...I don know how to target star with coordinates ...can u tell how to point to that particular object by using RA and other coordinates..still i couldn't locate Andromeda galaxy!!! plz help..thanks

hi thanks for reply,

i hv tht software and i know whereit is in sky but could not locate exact location as i dont know which coordinates i have to see and set in scope...

ra-00h43.7m,dec 41degree 22...how to set this in telescope?

11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you already have binoculars then I'd spend a little time learning bits of the night sky both those targets mentioned can be seen in binoculars.

If you want ra dec cordinates then could put stellarium on your pc.

On 30-11-2017 at 22:00, jabeoo1 said:

Amazing progress*.  The first one is beautiful in its own right, it has a vintage feel, like it belongs in an old hardback book that smells of yellowing paper and cracking glue on a weakened spine (My Burnham's handbooks come to mind).  The one below, well that belongs in a glossy modern publication.  

*As I state regularly when loitering the imaging sections, I am visual only and know nothing about this stuff, so please excuse me.  I respect the technical heartache and pain you poor people put yourselves through

Yes, you have to be a bit masochistic when starting out with AP... but the rewards...

The second image is a huge improvement. The next step with M42 is really quite a small one, involving short subs just for the Trapezium region. You might even get away with a soft stretch of the data you already have. I don't know GIMP but it is layers based so you might be able to adapt this Photoshop tutorial by Jerry Lodigruss. http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/laymask.html

Nothing is as satisfying, on this wonderful target, as blending different sub lengths to cover the huge dynamic range of the Great Nebula.

Olly

Archived