SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PEC correction to AZ-EQ6 GT

Hello everybody,

I am going to apply Permanent PEC correction to my AZ-EQ6 GT SkyWatcher mount in an attempt to eliminate most minor negative contributions to my so-and-so autoguide. I will do that by following instructions on the SynScan manual. Does anyone have some advice?

I also started using Guide Assistant of PHD2 and applying the calculated min-move and backlash changes suggested by the system. More, I tweaked the worm and gear bugs of the DEC axis to reduce the backlash, and after a few attempts I found the right position between screeching and jerky movements of the mount at one extreme, and shaky setup at the other. I hope getting some improvements to my awkward setup because I am afraid that the heavy (14-16 kg) and long (1600 mm focal length) Meade 7" refracting scope plus guide scope is close to this mount's limiting payload, and difficult to be correctly balanced. In addition to seeing, its length also makes it strongly sensitive to wind gusts making PHD2 log graphs look not so good. I cannot minimize these effects without changing my scope, which I don't want to do because of crisp images it yields under (rare) favourable conditions, so I started a search to minimize everything else that can be addressed.

Thank you for useful suggestions!

I will watch this with interest as i have no idea how to attempt this and may well like to try. I would not have thought the weight was a problem even at 16kg, I believe 21 is top limit, I feel it is more likely the length of your Meade scope (rare one at that). I have aM/N 190mm on it now at 14kg and it handles it easily.

Alan

Thank you. Also my suspicions always were more on length than on weight, even because I also put on an additional black cardboard lightscreen to the original one thus increasing the total lenght by 80 cm more....to prevent dew I shoud turn to an efficient electric resistence....this is another drawback to be addressed.

Cesco

Archived